Logo

1974 Merc 500 - adding a charge winding.

tspoon

Hi all, I have a couple of questions regarding flywheels for these motors.

Do the different ignition systems have a different flywheel? i.e. can the flywheel be taken from a distributor model 500 and used on a later model with the separate coils thunderbird ignition? Also can a flywheel from a pull start distributor model without a charging coil be swapped to a distributor motor with a starter motor and a charging coil? (leaving aside the obvious question of whether the flywheel has a ring gear fitted or or not)

Cheers

They don't appear to be the same part number, so I guess that answers that question, thanks for your help.

btw, can the flywheel be pulled with normal bearing pullers, or is something else needed?

cheers

If your motor has a distributor, then you need the earlier flywheels with the magnets in the outer rim. If you don't have a distributor, then you must use the later design.

Jeff

Thanks Jeff, do you know if all the older model flywheels have the magnets, or only the electric start models? I have two distributor motors in various states here, one electric start and one pull start although neither seems to have a charge coil. And then a later model with the flywheel missing, I guess I'll have to look around for a flywheel somewhere else for that one.

..."..do you know if all the older model flywheels have the magnets, or only the electric start models?"

Only the electric start AND battery charging models. They made all kinds of variations back then.

I see what you need on Ebay now and then. Happy trolling!

Jeff

Back