Logo

BF20 2007 model not starting or power trimming

swanncat

Hi I have 2 bf20's on my sailing cat, the starboard engine won't start (will manually, and runs fine)
The power trim also stopped working at the same time. the starter makes a soft clicking noise as if theres
a flat battery(batteries are fine and port motor starts and trims fine) the trim also acts like not enough power.
When motor is idling the power trim works better.
I've checked all wiring for corrosion and all seems fine,looking at the wiring diagram, could it be the power tilt relay?

thanks brett

Yes, the power tilt relay COULD, POSSIBLY, PERHAPS be the culprit causing the trim issues but I don't think it should have anything to do with the starter not cranking the engine over. I don't like those sealed trim relays because the wires tend to break just where they enter the epoxy and there usually isn't enough left sticking out to solder them back together properly.

When I replace one, I try and reinforce them and change the... (for lack of a better term)..."flex location" of the wires by dolloping some OXYGEN SENSOR SAFE silicon sealer/gasket maker where the wires leave the relay. I do it in such a manner so that they bend further away from the relay. I haven't had one that I've treated that way break a wire yet.

You MUST use OXYGEN SENSOR SAFE rated silicon to do this. DO NOT USE the silicon sealers that smell like vinegar as they will tend to break down and corrode anything electrical.

If you are hearing noise from the starter when you operate the key switch, then you most likely have another bad connection causing that. Start by disconnecting your battery (for safety) and then taking the cable off of the starter and wire brush clean the connection. Then, go back and clean the connections at the battery and see if the problem goes away. Do this before futzing with the trim system because it does sound like both your problems could just be dirty battery cable terminals. If this solves your problem on your stbd engine, then perform the same maintenance on the port as it will likely need it soon anyway.

Good luck.

Back