Logo

yamaha command link not displaying speed.

jmsjohnston

winterized, got the boat back in the water, and the speed is not displaying maybe i painted somthing that I should have not ? Any suggestions? Also I see that my GPS is not working correctly...let's just deal with one thing at a time. Please give me your imput so I can have some direction to go in. Thanks in advance.

If your command link gauge is connected to your gps for speed input then you should solve the gps problem and see if the speed issue resolves as well. If you get speed input from the pitot tube in the lower unit then check the pitot tube for clogging and proceed through that system. Could be some dried up salt in the sensor tube. The command link speed sensors on a range of motors have an issue which could also compromise your wire harness. Check with your dealer.

Thanks PBRMAN for your response, I called the dealer on this one and after taking his advise, to upgrade my GPS Card, it started working just fine. All seems ok! Got 3 nice Flounder this past weekend. So I can complain! LOL;)

I had the same problem and had to clean the pitot tube with a very small wire into the lower part and I also cleaned the tube connecting to the speed sensor in the upper unit. It is located in the rear lower part of the engine and attached with a small zipp tye.

That stupid little hole on the front leading edge of the lower drive that sends the speed reading always gets clogged. It will start to read a slower and slower speed until it reads nothing. A terrible design. You can snake a little wire up there over and over again to clean it out and it will just get clogged again. Had a mechanic tell me to forget about it and just use the speed reading on my GPS but, of course, I like everything working so I keep cleaning it out over and over again.

Exact, experienced boaters told me the same and to forget about the speed and that about every brand does the same. I tried to clean it from the top last time, hope it will last longer.

Back