Logo

Honda BF 130 "Vapor Chamber" and high pressure fuel filter replacement

c-level

Contributing Member
Symptoms: My honda bf130 (I am not the original owner) is still having surging problems. Sometimes the engine runs fine, then surges and stalls under load. Sometimes I'll pump the fuel bulb and then it goes away and sometimes it comes back about five minutes later or not at all. Replaced all the hoses from fuel fill/vent and from fuel tank to the external fuel/water separator and also from that separator into the engine. Replaced the fuel bulb with a brand new johnson bulb. Have not run external fuel tank to see if it is coming from the fuel tank or the engine because the boat only stalls during load in the water. Replaced the low pressure fuel filter and also inspected internal fuel/water separator and found no water. Just bought a "high pressure fuel filter" number 16010-st5-993, it is black with a single input and output like a car.

The first question is I'm looking through the honda marine shop manual and cannot for the life of me figure out where this high pressure fuel filter goes. I see the schematic for "fuel strainer (high pressure side)" and it does not look like this at all. On a car the fuel filter is usually from the gas tank to the engine, I traced all the lines and cannot see anywhere where this high pressure filter is supposed to go?

The second question is I also was alarmed to see that my white vapor chamber (I cannot find a part number for this, I saw that name under the shop manual and never saw it mentioned anywhere else) I am attaching an image, it is not the "vapor separator" box but I think it's right above it) was cracking. In the picture it is the white plastic piece with yellow spider cracks on it and it is covered with a black plastic open cover. Could this be the problem with my engine surging under load? Does anyone know the replacement part number for this piece, is it 16911-759-003? I did a search and it came up under "fuel pump filter".

vapor chamber.jpg

Last edited:
First of all.... the part number that you typed is not the high pressure filter if you have a water separator on board the engine. The high pressure filter (or screen as Honda calls it) is inside the vapor separator. See part # 38 http://www.boats.net/parts/search/Honda/Outboard%20Engine/2003/BF130A3%20LA%20VIN%23%20BZBE-1400001%20TO%20BZBE-1499999/VAPOR%20SEPARATOR/parts.html.

I can not find the part number that you typed in my parts program. It might be the old type filter and you meant to type 16010-st5-993.

The vapor separator assembly and fuel rail were updated years ago and it eliminated the black filter that was to the left and outside of the vapor separator. That is why you can not find where it goes.

So the correct part number should be 16911-ZY3-010.

You are correct on the other part number of the filter that you have pictured. It is the filter for the vent for the vapor separator. When you take that off, make sure that the upper hose is clear and you can blow through it. The filter looks like it may have had fuel in it, which means that your vapor separator was probably overflowing and there is/was trouble with the needle or float inside.

A plugged vent, will certainly cause running problems.

It certainly looks like it needs to be changed.

Mike

Thanks again Mike, from what I gathered from the previous owner I guess my engine had a cracked head which was warrantied by honda. It was the older BZBE which is stamped on the outside of the motor, while the inside has BEBE. Do you think the fuel rail was updated at that time? I'll plan on returning the black filter and getting the vapor separator filter instead.

One more thing, I tightened all of the fuel lines and also ran a clear hose to see if there was air going through any areas. I saw no air at all before the outside fuel/water separator. When I put the clear line on the other side of it I saw a huge amount of air and it took a while to get rid of with pumps on the primer bulb. Once it was clear of air, the bulb is now rock hard, so hard I cannot pump it anymore (at least when the engine is off), is that normal? It is the new johnson bulb, the stock bulbs that we have at work on our honda bf225 is not that hard ever.

Yes the rail etc were probably changed around the same time. Could have actually been sooner, depending on when the head had a crack in it.

I would not get too concerned over air created by pumping the squeeze bulb. You should check for air when the engine is in the water and underway. Then, the bubbles are a problem.

The Johnson bulb will get hard as a rock when the vapor separator is full. The check valves on them work really well compared to most any other bulb. They work the best (any bulb will) if the bulb is used or sitting with the arrow pointed up.

Mike

Almost forgot...

You said that you were going to get the vapor separator filter instead. I hope you are going to get the high pressure filter that is inside the vapor separator as well as the vent filter.

Mike

That's a relief, I never had a bulb get that hard although you and many others recommended the Johnson one. I have it so it sits vertical with the arrow pointing up.

I saw that the high pressure filter is supposed to be changed every 2 years/400 hours. In the manual it doesn't look that hard to do, how long does it normally take to swap out Mike?

I takes removal of three screws....a few minutes.

Make sure that you relieve fuel pressure before taking the cap off. There is a bolt in the center of the cap. Cover with a rag to minimize fuel splash and remove that bolt. That is where the high pressure fuel gauge is connected.

If you drain the vapor separator first, you will have less fuel mess.

Mike

Mike, the vent filter and part number do not show up on the Schematic Breakdown "Fuel Pump + Fuel Pipe Diagram" as it shows the old fuel pump set up, I think. Do you know how to navigate to the newer fuel pump schematic? My Shop Manual supplement shows the new fuel system, but of course no schematic with part numbrs. I'm trying to get the vent filter part number so I can replace mine. Thanks. Stan

That's it. Thanks Mike

Hello folks,

My first post as I am new here and trying to diagnose & repair a similar problem with a Honda BF115A.

For several seasons, she's chugged at idle and sure enough I had to tow the boat off the water recently. I'm the original owner, but somehow missed the early 2000 time frame vapor separator electric fuel pump recall. I found my electric pump to be intermittent, but now I am over that frustration!

So far I've replaced the main relay, my old intermittent electric pump (with an aftermarket universal pump of similar specs and some redneck plumbing) and both fuel filters. Now it will start once again, but still runs a little inconsistently at idle. So here's the big question based on my assumption:

Assumption: The mechanical fuel pump is the last item that could be causing the issue. It's Honda part number 16700-ZW5-004,[FONT=open sans, arial, helvetica, sans-serif] I thought it was a crankcase diaphragm type pump and had thought I'd find a typical rebuild kit for that pump, but seeing replacements on eBay make me think there may be rotary parts.

Question: Can anyone verify how that mechanical fuel pump that bolts the the aft lower end of the engine cover plate works and perhaps take a stab at why there is no way to service the pump with a rebuild kit or if it's impeller based, a new impeller?

Thanks in advance!
[/FONT]

Back