Logo

1980 40hp will only turn over if i wire the starter directly to the battery via a switch why?

Becky Watkins

Regular Contributor
i tried it direct just to see if it would work because if i run it normally it cant even turn the fly wheel with the plugs in why if i connect it straight to the battery does it work?

One thing you can look at is try and start it with the solenoid and inspect the wires, connectors close look for any smoking or feel solenoid and see if it gets hot real quick. If there is alot of resistance somewhere it produces heat real fast. Feel for hot wires connectors or solenoid can also isolate your fault.
the yellow switch wire starts to melt

no burnt contacts i just tried it with working solenoid it turns over slowly with plugs in but better than not at all the ground wire on the starter started to smoke and get hot so i'm going to get a chunky wire tomorrow

i only have 3 pins on my solenoid the two large ones one going to the battery and the other going to the starter motor and the yellow switch wire the ground i have is bolted to the engine which i have the negative to the battery and then the negative to the starter motor it is the wire from the starter motor to that ground bolt thats hot and melting but its tiny

the ground from the starter motor was bolted to the mount of the solenoid before i took it off so i put it back in the same place i'll take a pic in the morning its to dark now

Back