Logo

2000 115HP Yamaha 2 Stroke won't idle unless tilted down.

clarkfp

If motor is tilted down it starts and runs great while idling or at low speed. Comes out of the hole fine tilted slightly down. Once tilted to "normal" it sputters and dies unless I hit the choke. No problems at WOT once I have the tilt adjusted to run properly at WOT. Bulb is firm, replaced gas, removed and cleaned gas tank (aluminum), running SeaFoam, cleaned carbs, changed fuel filter and plugs. Is this a float problem or fouled jets? Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated.

If the tilt angle of the engine is changing the performance, check the fuel line between the fuel bulb and the engine. It may be damaged and restricting fuel. If the line is good, it's time to remove the carbs and give them a good cleaning. In cleaning the carbs it is important to clean the fuel bowl inlets. Debris will sit in the nipple where the fuel lines attach and cause an intermittent problem.

Chris, the fuel line was not restricted and the bulb was firm. Without removing the carbs I drained the bowls and gave everything a good cleaning. I also drained and cleaned the fuel tank, changed the plugs and the fuel filter. After putting 40 gallons of gas with Seafoam through the engine it is now running great. Problem solved. Thanks for your suggestions!

Back