Logo

2000 Triton SF-18 Electrical Problem

rsides

This stranded me 2 miles out last Saturday. As usual, everything was working fine until it wasn't. Got ready to head home and had no power at the ignition or trim button. All other electrical equipment kept working just fine but may be powered by the trolling motor batteries for all I know. The inline main fuse on the positive batt cable is good and so are all fuses under the dash. All connections are clean and tight. The battery is fully charged for sure. I'm the only owner so everything is for sure still factory wired. I initially thought the ignition switch is bad but this wouldn't explain the trim stopping, would it? Maybe I missed a fuse - anyone know of one I missed other than the inline main and fusebox fuses? Any thoughts at all would be appreciated - it's crappie season and I'm grounded until this is fixed.

What engine do you have?

In my experience, the first thing I check is the kill switch. Disconnect lanyard clip and work it in and out several times, spray with WD-40, then re-test. If no joy, then disconnect the kill circuit on the back of the switch or at the engine.

Next, test your neutral safety switch. This is the switch that will be somewhere in your shift mechanism or on the shift plate on your engine - it assures that the engine will not start unless the shifter is in neutral.

Found it. Thanks for heading me in the right direction CHawk. It was a blown 30A fuse inline on the kill switch under the engine cowl. Sure wish I'd started looking from that end instead of at the dash. Thanks again and let's go fishing!

Glad you found the problem. I'm occasionally getting out in the Gulf Stream out of Hatteras. That can be a challange in a 25 ft single engine boat most of the time this time of the year.

Back