Logo

97 225 saltwater series 536hrs , water in all cyl

mike-hks

hey guys hope you can help out , i bought a boat with a 97 225 yamaha fuel injected 536hrs
when i got the engine it was locked , here's the story from previous owner
boat started to run bad , on the way in , stopped , they got it running again , made it to shore
owner got home and flushed the engine , but didn't run it ,he flushed it with the engine off , after 3 or 4 months he went to use it again and it was locked up, let it sit for almost a year before i got it
i took it home removed plugs , all cyl had previous water inside ,
sprayed wd40 into each cyl and put some air into each cyl to spread ,got a socket and a breaker bar and started to try and move it , started moving right away back and forth , put transmission oil inside each cyl* and started turning clock wise easy , spun it with the starter , got a compression gauge and tested each cyl , 120psi on all after sitting for almost a year , clean plugs and reinstalled , and try to fire it up , wouldn't start no fuel , sprayed some carb cleaner ,and it started right up ,
bad head gasket , or maybe motor was in the up position when flushed and water came in thru exhaust ports ?

hey guys hope you can help out , i bought a boat with a 97 225 yamaha fuel injected 536hrs
when i got the engine it was locked , here's the story from previous owner
boat started to run bad , on the way in , stopped , they got it running again

If there is enough water in the vst and you crank the engine long enough you will fill the cylinders with water right through the fuel injection system.

Drain the fuel system completely hook it up to a remote fuel tank with some premixed fuel (added protection) and see if she runs. If you are lucky, the water did not damage any bearings in the lower end.

If there is enough water in the vst and you crank the engine long enough you will fill the cylinders with water right through the fuel injection system.

Drain the fuel system completely hook it up to a remote fuel tank with some premixed fuel (added protection) and see if she runs. If you are lucky, the water did not damage any bearings in the lower end.

i filled the clear filter on the side of the engine with new gas a lots of oil so the injectors where well lubricated on its first run after a year , but it doesn't look like it pulls the fuel , maybe the fuel pump is bad, its a fuel injected engine so am thinking it has an electric fuel pump ?
i tried cranking it and doesn't run , it runs if you spray carb cleaner on it , sounds great ,
haven't had any more time to mess with it until the weekend , so any input you guys can give me is highly appreciated
can you hook up a diagnostic scan tool to these engines to check for trouble codes ?
oh and tanked looked empty like if it was drained

quote_icon.png
Originally Posted by Docksidemarineservices

The statement above is probably what happened to it before you got it.

There are two mechanical pumps on the side of the engine that feed the high pressure pump in the VST.

quote_icon.png
Originally Posted by Docksidemarineservices

The statement above is probably what happened to it before you got it.

There are two mechanical pumps on the side of the engine that feed the high pressure pump in the VST.

hey wanted to say thanks so much , i got lost with the VST part so i had to google it , i'm new to these outboards
checked it and sure enough it had power but didn't work ,so i took it all apart and double checked it out side, the high pressure pump is no good ,its rusted which is a sign of water entry in the fuel system

now my question is how can that get water inside ?
boat has a big fuel filter outside , that's also a water separator
no ? + the small one inside the engine ?
any info on where is the cheapest place to get the pump and O-ring is also appreciated
again thanks so much

Last edited:
Parts are dealer or internet. The water entered through the fuel line from the fuel tank or the boat sunk. You will need to flush and clean the entire fuel system. Including the injector lines. The injectors may need to be serviced also.

Parts are dealer or internet. The water entered through the fuel line from the fuel tank or the boat sunk. You will need to flush and clean the entire fuel system. Including the injector lines. The injectors may need to be serviced also.

so far so good , found a good used pump that only had 300hrs for $150 , works great , engine is running smooth ,
drain the hole tank , flushed all lines from mechanical pumps ,
but the float on the vst is stuck and not letting the fuel in ..
going to replace it tomorrow ...

Change that water sep. filter you mentioned out, once full these cannot be dumped and reused. And do not fill it with any oil/gas..

You will need a new gasket for the top of the VST. The old one will probably grow once you remove it.

man you where not kidding when you said take the hole fuel system apart , a little more and i would have had to turn the boat upside down
the float on the vst was stuck closed and fuel wasn't entering , and then the check valve after the clear plastic filter on the side of the motor was also stuck closed not letting the 3 mechanical pumps pull the fuel ..
but all clean now and the engine runs great ,,
thanks so much for all the help greatly appreciated

man you where not kidding when you said take the hole fuel system apart , a little more and i would have had to turn the boat upside down
the float on the vst was stuck closed and fuel wasn't entering , and then the check valve after the clear plastic filter on the side of the motor was also stuck closed not letting the 3 mechanical pumps pull the fuel ..
but all clean now and the engine runs great ,,
thanks so much for all the help greatly appreciated

I am not here to jinx you but, It is running great on the trailer. Let us know how it runs on the water. Oh one more thing......YAMAHA's YAMALUBE ONLY!!! Do not run cheap crappy 2cyc oil and add some of Yamaha's ring free also.

Happy Boating.

I am not here to jinx you but, It is running great on the trailer. Let us know how it runs on the water. Oh one more thing......YAMAHA's YAMALUBE ONLY!!! Do not run cheap crappy 2cyc oil and add some of Yamaha's ring free also.

Happy Boating.
*i finally had a chance today to hit the water ,been having to much work , i took your advise and had removed the injectors last week and flushed them out and made sure they where all working correctly , i put $200 of fuel to test it , added about 2 quarts of oil to the 48 gallons just to be on the safe side , very smoky , let it idle at the dock on the marina for about 30 minutes* and took it out on a test run , it runs like a champ , needs a new set of plugs and the amount of oil its burning doesn't help either , but i floor it from a start a few times and it takes off no hesitation no nothing , now i'm* extremely happy with the deal i got on this boat ..
1997 pursuit 2470cc
1997 yamaha 225 556hr's
2009 continental aluminum trailer heavy duty with 4 wheel disk brakes & 5200pound axels
all for $4500
no yamalube for me , am not paying $40 for a gallon of oil
its going to burn walmart 2 stroke oil whether it like it or not

again really appreciated with all your help , and happy boating

Back