Logo

Engine swap v6 to v8

jadilla

Regular Contributor
hey guys I have a 225 v6 buick engine I/O... what low horse power v8's will bolt up exactly to the upper sterndrive? I Had someone tell me I had to get a 225 or 231 for a direct replacement.

the only V8 marine engine with a Buick flywheel housing shape the same as your 225 (to bolt up exactly as you specify), was the Buick 300. They were only used by OMC for 1 or 2 years and in low production. If you find one, it would be a near miracle, and you should put it in a museum, not your boat.

Last edited:
but, ALAS! http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OFjWqPa9TUw

I think I know where this motor came from, actually and if it's the same one from a guy on the old Grew/Slickcraft site, he spent a lot of money on the rebuild.
The seller (Shipwreck) would want a lot of money for it probably and they are a little weird to deal with imo. They are sitting on an old B36 Volvo that no one on earth will ever want. I offered two Volvo duoprop drives in trade and they weren't too interested. They have easily paid eBay $500+ to list that old motor for year after year after year... no interest in positive cash flow... they'll sit on that Volvo until it turns to a pile of dust.

ha ha! Thanks man.... I wish I would have shopped around b4 I picked up this boat. However, I got a steal for $300. I think this engine is putting a bad taste in my mouth for I/O.

Your best option is to look for a good used Mercruiser Alpha, and a Chevy 350 marine engine. A little digging will probably turn up a few worthy candidates in your area. You will have to do a bit of adaptation work on the transom, engine mounts and the plumbing and electrical connections. Nothing outside the reach of a backyard mechanic.
There, now that I have that out, there is nothing shabby about the 225 V6. You can easily obtain the rebuild kit. Unless it is locked up and totally dead, i'd try to get some use from it.

.......There, now that I have that out, there is nothing shabby about the 225 V6. You can easily obtain the rebuild kit. Unless it is locked up and totally dead, i'd try to get some use from it.

I agree that there is nothing really wrong with the 225 Buick V6.

I have one in my '72 Seasport 16, and it runs beautifully, with no trouble getting up onto the plane, plus is a great conversation piece.

Plus, if your Stern Drive is anything like mine, it is drilled for both the Buick, and Chevrolet, which also includes Oldsmobile, Pontiac and Cadillac.

Bruce.

Last edited:
Back