Logo

mercury 40hp 1980 images of things i dont know what they are help needed

Want some good advise: Throw the whole works out and assemble the motor without it.

A stuck open t-stat will run the same if you left it out, but if that sucker sticks closed you fry your motor. Sounds like a good idea to me!

Jeff

Want some good advise: Throw the whole works out and assemble the motor without it.
I disagee with that.....
A stuck open t-stat will run the same if you left it out,
Nope .. if stuck open it has a smaller hole restricting water flow vs it totally removed, that why you use a washer as a t-stat in a race/hp engine to keep it from cold seizing...

no not choke solenoid thats already on the carb it is a thermostat i tried it in some hot water i just dont know if its meant to be on my engine or not?

http://www.marineengine.com/parts/m...=5594&component=CYLINDER+BLOCK+AND+THERMOSTAT heres the link again take it apart maybe thos are just spares. I fthe thermostat is not there the check valve willnot work and if the check valve the thermostat will not work they work together.
ok thanks i will take it apart and see if their is one present already and see if the stat is working. picture no 1 looks like its not part of this engine and has been added to the box of bits by mistake
i will let you know how i get on with trying to get it to start or even turn over.

...I`m from the school the t-stat is there for a reason. It allows the engine come up to operating temps the engineers designed it to run."

Really? Then how on earth did the 100 million outboards built before OMC started using t-stats manage to run so well? Hummm? Furthermore, many newer OBs still don't have one. How do they run so well? Humm?

I repeat, a stuck open t-stat is no big deal. A stuck closed t-stat, however, is a blown power head. Take your pick.

Jeff

..."Nor would I let anyone with a better than thou attitude work on anything I own."

That knife cuts both ways!

My twin inboards have raw water cooling, which means all manner of sand, mud and crud run throught them all summer. By year's end they look like they've been through a war! If you think I'd rely on them to keep my motors from burning up next summer(if they stick closed), then you just don't get it. New ones go in every year.

Now, Mister Leave the T-stats In, how often do you change yours, hummm?

Jeff

ok so i need a new thermostat after finally getting to theone already in the engine guarded by a lifetimes amount of rust. my next question is where on the engine do i put the mercury stop switch i have it but is just dangling? and the other is how do i know which chamber is 1 and which is 2?

trigger coils, stator, ignition coil
ok i now have spark but with plugs in it wont turn over the flywheel turns then as soon as its under pressure stops as if not enough power i'm charging the battery but i think its fine its not that the starter motor stops turning just that it cant turn it anymore when the plugs are out it turns over fine

If the battery is fully charged and it turns slowly the starter brushes may be worn. Can you pull start it?. Good compression and the starter can't crank it means the starter and/or circuit is questionable.

If the battery is fully charged and it turns slowly the starter brushes may be worn. Can you pull start it?. Good compression and the starter can't crank it means the starter and/or circuit is questionable.
no i cant pull start it i tried but it does about half a turn then to tight to turn further

Back