Logo

2002 Honda 225 questions

i have already posted a question about the service bulletin #56 however as a newcomer to Hondas i wondered if someone could help me with a couple of other questions...?

Firstly, I noticed when running the engine on muffs whilst flushing the engine out after our first trip that exhaust gas is expelled from around the anode in the gearbox (the one above the prop)Is this normal?

Secondly, after a long day out I noticed a little bit of black deposit beneath the two exhaust ports on the back of the extension case. Is this to be expected or could it be an indication of running rich?

Thanks in advance...Chris

1. Normal

2, You may be running a bit rich, but that could be normal if you are trolling or running at low speeds for a significant time, or if you are fast accelerating from near stand still. I troll a lot and get those black marks on a regular basis. So unless you are eating a lot of fuel, I wouldn't worry about it unless it gets excessive. Not sure what boat you have or how much it weighs, but I'm running a 6000 LB 25 foot C-Hawk. At WOT, 6000 rpm, I'm burning 20 gallons per hour. At 5000 rpm I'm burning around 14 gallons per hour. At 1800 rpm I'm burning about 2.5 gallons per hour.

Hi there.

I am running a RIB..

Not one you guys see a lot of I'm sure.:)

As you can see the transom has a cut out to take the standard Long Shaft. In an ideal world the XL should have been fitted without the cutout I think. However too late to change that, just need to make sure that all bases are covered and that when fully loaded trim out a bit when starting and stopping the engine I guess !!..

Chris

Attachments

• IMG_0427.jpg
    IMG_0427.jpg
    59.2 KB · Views: 33
2, You may be running a bit rich
Hi I am wondering if this is the case. When we took the boat out for its first run it was quite heavy on fuel although granted we had to run fully trimmed in due to a heavy load and poor sea conditions so it was not going to be at its most efficient. I think we ran at about 25 miles an hour and were seeing it use about 12 gallons an hour at this speed. I am waiting for a new tacho as the current one is frozen do can't say what RPMs we were pulling.

On the return journey we had a calmer sea so were able to trim out and immediately saw the fuel consumption drop by about 20-25%

My experiences of having owned several ribs of similar size is to see about about 4-5 miles per gallon of fuel so the intial trip was a bit of a shocker especially as I expected good things of the Hondas fuel use..

I know you guys are running much larger heavier boats (my rib weighs about 1500Kgs.) so it may be difficult to compare.

Chris

Good looking RIB. FYI - The US Coast Guard has run their big RIBS with dual Honda 225's for a long time. Never could figure out why they didn't sink when they stopped, given those two engines weighed well over 1200 lbs.

I suspect you could fill in that cut out without too much of a problem if you need to raise the engine.

Back