Logo

im lost! 1961 sea king 60

SBCGuy

I have a gg8850a. I have replaced the fuel tanks, hoses, fuel pump, rebuilt carb, checked for fuel getting to carb, has spark, has compression and vacuum in cylinders when turning over, new battery, vacuum in intake, clean used spark plugs (produced more spark than replacements). I still can not get this thing to even idle. It turns over at full speed but will sometimes kick out when the engine gets the first fire but at best will idle 5-10 seconds. I have tried the low idle adjustment backed out 1 to 1.5 turns. My father, while also not an outboard guy, helped me look at it thinking a second point of view is always helpful. He rebuilt the carb again, finding that the needle became unattached from the float. Same problem. Turns over, tries to start, won't run. We dod try moving the magneto to different positions, made it worse as expected. What other tests can I perform for better insight? BTW, the compression and vacuum checks were not done by gauge, only by feel but exerted force. Thanks for all help or suggestions.

I was getting spark but have not tried 5/16. I haven't found a spec for proper gapping and left them at factory gap, knowing it wasn't accurate but not sure where I should be either. You are correct, it IS a 2 stroke v-4, but I'm not sure on how to adjust the timing belt for the magneto. Is there a timing thread?

I think I ran two thought into one confused sentence. I have not tested the plugs for 5/16 with a tester, I need to get one. 1) Is there a recommended gap for plugs to operate? 2) Is there a forum thread about the timing belt? Thanks

Sparkplug gap is 0.030" , but spark must be able to jump a gap of 5/16"---If it does not do that then the magneto needs work!!.---------Go to---------- aomci --------ask a member forum and someone will post instructions for belt timing.--------------Testing and checking is the way to get that nice motor running.

Thanks a lot. It's been rainy the last couple days but ill get the tester in the mail and get this ironed out ASAP. I appreciate the help.

Back