Logo

2006 or 2007 50hp honda

castle

I have a 2006 or 2007 50 hp tiller honda that had not been used for the last couple of months. Took it out today and it idled fine and initially worked great. Then, it start sputtering when I would give it gas and then die out. I could sometimes get it to plane out if I give it a LOT of throttle when starting out. However, I would have to turn the motor off for a few seconds before I could get it to run when a LOT of throttle. I'm thinking water in the gas, bad plugs, or maybe something with the fuel system. Also, no alarms or anything went off. Any advice would be appreciated.

Sam

Hi Sam, i suggest you take your boat on the water and when it starts playing up on throttle then try clicking the choke on and off a few times as you increase the throttle. If this works then it means that your carbs are blocked and need to be stripped and throughly cleaned which is best done with an ultrasonic cleaner. I now own 4 Honda outboard two of which are BF50`s and all of them have had gummed up carbs, hence i ended up buying an ultrasonic cleaner of my own as it was the cheapest way to go for me.

Cheers, Matt.

I had water in my gas. Put some of the gas in a jar and a big bubble formed. I drained all the gas in my tank and carbs. Put in fresh gas with water seperater and it ran fine today. Ran the boat for about 15 minutes on the lake without even a stutter. Thanks for the help!!!

Sam

Back