Logo

2005 Yamaha 115 4 stroke

bigcat21

Hit some rocks last week, messed up prop, boat ran fine back to dock. borrowed a loaner prop while was being repaired. I was cruising around all day no problems. late in the day i took off to another fishing spot, Boat was running just a little slower, i figured it was a light weight prop flexing and not giving me as much speed. then the low oil alarm ?? came on and the boat went to sputtering and lost most power, i pulled back and alarm went off, tried 2 more times same result, cruised a little above idle back to dock, took boat out and checked oil,I lifted the hood and saw oil on the front of the intake plastic,i noticed on the new loaner white prop heavy exhaust staining,,, any clues???

Hit some rocks last week, messed up prop, boat ran fine back to dock. borrowed a loaner prop while was being repaired. I was cruising around all day no problems. late in the day i took off to another fishing spot, Boat was running just a little slower, i figured it was a light weight prop flexing and not giving me as much speed. then the low oil alarm ?? came on and the boat went to sputtering and lost most power, i pulled back and alarm went off, tried 2 more times same result, cruised a little above idle back to dock, took boat out and checked oil,I lifted the hood and saw oil on the front of the intake plastic,i noticed on the new loaner white prop heavy exhaust staining,,, any clues???

This what I have found out so far
No 2 cylinder has lost some compression, Thermostat was stuck open and not allowing the motor to get up to operating temperture causing significant carbon build up in the cylinder , possible stuck ring in the No 2 cylinder. Possible scoring on the cylinder wall causing oil blow by, They tried decarbonizing to no avail, at this point it is sitting at another Mechcanics house tilted up with marvels Mystery oil sitting in each cylinder hoping to unseat a possible stuck ring.. Hard to believe a stuck Thermostat can cause all that, , both mechanics swear by some type of ring free in every tank of gas. worse case senario New power head.​

Back