Logo

Mounting older model year lower gear case on 2011 BR150?

Xtratuffs

Hello, I'm hoping somebody can help me out. I have two new BF150 25" engines I intend to mount on my 25ft whaler and have a question about lower gear cases. Both of my engines are standard rotation and would like to switch out one to a counter-rotation. As I understand it there are a couple model year breaks over the years, one about 2004+- and one about 2008+_ and I have been told by a couple guys that a lower from say 2006 won't fit my 2011 engine because the shift shaft splines are different and possibly the drive shaft spines are different? Any truth to that, info from the experts would be appreciated!! Thanks in advance! I also see that I mislabeled my engine model, its a BF150 not a BR150, whatever that would be! Damn fingers!!!??

Last edited:
As far as I could see (checking my parts catalog...updated yesterday and searching all of the parts and service bulletins) all of the drive shafts and shift shafts are the same in all of the 150's. There has been a change in the case itself. One of the changes is in the water pickups. I am not sure of any other changes. The gears, etc are the same. I know that I bought one last year new to put on an older 150 with no problems.

The 225 on the other hand did have a change in the shift shafts and you need special kits to make them compatible.

If you find one that you want to buy, I would call Honda Customer Relations (770-497-6400)and ask them to check for you....rather than listen to some of us "old guys" on the forum...since your investment will be more than $5 or $10.

Another source of information would be Atlantic Gear Case http://www.atlanticgearcase.com/ . They do a lot of rebuilding of Honda gearcases.

Mike

Hi Mike, Thanks for checking into that for me. My local Honda guy is currently unavailable and I came across several new, older year honda lowers that a company has here. They're switching out engine makes and I could probably get a pretty good deal on them. I'll contact the guy that does their maint and get the exact model years they came off of and give Honda CR a call. Thanks again for your time, I'll probably be in touch. Rob.

Back