Logo

Purchase advice mercury 800

Debunker

Maybe you can give advice
I am now looking to get some more headaches. A guy has a 1970's 800 mercury outboard for sale, the motor has an even compression of 130 on all 4 cylinders. He doesn't have the ability to run it for me. Looks very clean. What else should I be looking for with out hearing it run? I have no experience in outboards. Any advice would be greatly appreciated. Thank you in advance.

What else should I be looking for with out hearing it run? I have no experience in outboards.
Another engine...too many on the market to not hear it run...it's 40 years old!

A simple adapter allows a hose to shoot water into the LU for running it. If he doesn't want to try even that, run away!

Jeff

PS: These were good motors, but you never know about THIS one without a test run.

Question? Why would you consider looking at a 40 year old engine, that will be expensive to repair if major parts are needed, when there are newer ones at good prices?

It's an incurable disease,comes with a mixture of insanity,stupidity,stubbornness,and the pure joy of starting your 40+ year old outboard on the third turn, beside a guy with a near new motor that refuses to turnover,never mind start,says I,who owns a beautiful Merc800 of '69 vintage.:D
But as the rest of the guys say,run,if he won't even let you try to start it on muffs

The gentelman that is selling this paticular motor is in his 80's not sure he even cares about the money he is getting out of the motor. He just wants someone to enjoy it as he did. I'm not stupid I wouldn't even consider this motor but I believe this old salts accounts of it running wonderfully. I know you can throw ears on an outboard run water and run but the motor is in a storage unit not near a hose. Plus he doesn't want much for it. Thanks for the help I guess.

And for what I debunk, that's classified, haha

..."Why would you consider looking at a 40 year old engine, that will be expensive to repair if major parts are needed, when there are newer ones at good prices? "

You gotta be kidding! Have you looked at what "newer ones" sold by reputable dealers are selling for?

Not only at older Mercs a bargain to purchase (compared to new motors) older parts are still available and are far cheaper than new parts. Hell, I got a shop full of customer's old Mercs that they're happy to spend several hundred bucks on to get squared away--and why not, considering that new ones cost thousands!

Jeff

The gentelman that is selling this paticular motor is in his 80's not sure he even cares about the money he is getting out of the motor. He just wants someone to enjoy it as he did. I'm not stupid I wouldn't even consider this motor but I believe this old salts accounts of it running wonderfully. I know you can throw ears on an outboard run water and run but the motor is in a storage unit not near a hose. Plus he doesn't want much for it. Thanks for the help I guess.
You didn't tell us this,so we assumed it was at a house.:)
Then go for it but remember the disease is incurable,and if you are getting it for the right money and it turns out to be a dud,well,strip it and ebay can always be used to ofset the cost.

Enjoy

Back