Logo

Yamaha F250 oil leak issue

T240LTS

I have a 2005 yamaha 250 four stroke with 315 hours. All service has been done properly to date.

I was fishing a few days ago and on our second day on the way, I started running WOT. I rarely do this but we were pushing getting in by dark.

After running WOT for about a minute, the engine started to run a little rough, I looked back and noticed it was blowing smoke. I could see two different places within 200yds that it has blown some white smoke. When I came to idle, it was running pretty rough and smoking. I shut it off and removed the cowling.

All looked normal, I checked the oil after a few minutes and all looked fine...i.e.. it was not dark and it was Full.

After a couple more minutes, I cranked her up and idled for a little while then decided to run on in at cruise speed.

I had no more issues of smoking or running rough.

3 days later once back from trip, I removed the cover again to look around and noticed a minimal amount of oil in a few different places in the bottom of the engine and scattered around some of the gaskets on the hoses in the motor.

I have tried several things including running engine with cowling off to see if I could find a leak... also, have tried trimming it up and down.

I cant find a leak anywhere. I cleaned up all the oil and am gonna check again tomorrow to see if it has dripped again.

Any ideas as to what could be going on?

Btw, when I crank her up now, she sounds just as perfect as ever.

Thanks.

Joe

Mix some Ring-free in the fuel. Your engine may be experiencing some blow-by at higher RPM's. The increased pressure in the crank case will push oil right past the gaskets.

A leak down test may be in order.

Mix some Ring-free in the fuel. Your engine may be experiencing some blow-by at higher RPM's. The increased pressure in the crank case will push oil right past the gaskets.

A leak down test may be in order.

Ok. thanks. I did have the tank treated with Ring free as well as stabil.

any chance water in fuel could be culprit either from tank or head gasket?

Back