Logo

BF15D Model Year?

wpaul36

Trying to figure out the model year of a Honda BF15D. According to the Honda Outboard Motor Model Identification Guide there should be a number after D to identify the year but there is none.
Model Year
DX=1999
DY=2000
D1=2001
D2=2002
D3=2003
P1050666.jpg

I accessed the Honda data base... by the way, you should take the motor in to a Honda Dealer for the Fuel Chamber recall (potentially leaky fuel chamber) Service Bulletin #62. The records indicate that it has not been done. http://marine.honda.com/owners/recalls

Even though your motor is out of warranty, it should be done at no charge.

Mike

I accessed the Honda data base... by the way, you should take the motor in to a Honda Dealer for the Fuel Chamber recall (potentially leaky fuel chamber) Service Bulletin #62. The records indicate that it has not been done. http://marine.honda.com/owners/recalls

Even though your motor is out of warranty, it should be done at no charge.

Mike

Thanks for taking the time to look that up. When you say the records indicate that SB #62 has not been done, does that mean you can look up service records for specific motors by serial #? I bought the motor towards the end of last summer from a marina in Florida that is a Honda dealer and was told that the motor was serviced regularly. It started up no problem when I got it and the engine was very clean and looked to be maintained well just by mere cosmetics. I plan to call the dealer up and see if they did perform the service that you listed. Is this something they should have reported to Honda after performing the service?

Thanks Again for your help!:)

Honda data base normally only lists warranty work or recalls that have not been done. If they did not file the warranty, they did not get paid to do the work. It is possible that the dealer did the work and filed the proper warranty paperwork but the information did not get into the data base. The system is not very sophisicated for the Marine side of the house.

Mike

Hi wpaul36,
Just an FYI about that "fuel chamber" Mike is telling you about. You will be wise to take that thing off and turn it upside down and empty it every two or three months. Those things tend to act as "water traps" and will cause you all kinds of problems if they get full of water instead of gas. Draining those regularly as well as religiously USING THE DRAIN SCREW on the carburetor to empty the float bowl before putting the engine up for more than a couple of days will keep your carb lean, clean and MEAN and save you lots of headache and moneys.
That BF15D is a badass little outboard! Congratulations on making a good purchase.

Back