Logo

Drive shaft whistle noise

jasoncalleja

Regular Contributor
Hi all I have a mercury 60hp EFI 4 stroke year 2011 it has 20 whrs on it. This model seems to have a problem after a few hrs they start to make a whistle noise thatcomes from the water seal that it is located where the drive shaft connects tothe crank. I have lubricated the shaft with grease but after a few hrs (5uprox) itstarted to do the same. Have any one ever solved this problem? Do you recommend anytype of lubrificant that can hold high revs for long time. Or at least for a season.Thanks Jason

Hi Jason,

I have the same engine, same year and approx same hours and it has started making a squeeking/ whistling noise intermittently and audible at low revs. I have refered it to the local mercury agent. I'll keep in touch, please keep me informed also.

Hi wormole

This whistle noise started doing it from the first few hrsof it. When I told the mercury dealerwith the noise he told the mechanic and he said that it was the timing beltthat was doing the noise but I was not convinced and started the motor in awater thank and after it warmed up I accelerate it at 2000to 3000rpm it started whistling I looked for the noise and discovered that itwas coming from the connection of the drive shaft to the crank I
Took a garden hoseand sprayed in there and the noise stopped. Then I went again to the dealer and he offered todo lubrication for me but I don’t want now one to work on my motor so I removedthe lower unit gave some grease to the water seal under the crank and refittedthe lower unit and it worked well for about other 10hrs but now it is doing thesame noise again. I have told the dealer that it is doing the noise again andhe told me to have the outboard to replace the water seal but I refused as toreplace it they will have to take the engine block out and I don’t want to havea new motor with a lot of scratches on it . That is why I want to find a kindof lubrificant that can hold for a long time and for hi revs. The reason whythis seal do this noise is that the shaft is not covered and the water entersin there and the lubrication goes away with the water ant when the seal is driedit starts to whistles. I am very disappointedwhit this problem. My opinion is thatmercury doesn’t care of this problem asthis is a common problem on 40 50 and 60 hp models for sure. I hope too that someone from mercurycould read this treat and have action for this problem. Sorry for my English and thanks for reading it. Thanks Jason

OK I have a 2012 60 HP 4 stroke Merc Bigfoot on my pontoon and this whistle just started. Any updates to this thread guys?

I put a post on this a few weeks ago, I have a 2012 90 Merc, I had good luck with Teflon, and a straw on the can so I hit the mark.

Ran it for about 8 hours a week ago quite as a church mouse.

Back