Logo

4.107 rebuild

jackbramwell

Hello. I need to rebuild a Perkins 4.107 and seek some advice. Has anyone used a Parts4engines kit if so what was the reult? Is it difficuilt to remove old cylinder sleeves? the kit does not include camshaft bearings, is that an issue? Cheers Jack.

Hi, i have used a kit like this with no problem. You will need a puller to remove the sleeves but replacing them usually can be done by hand (push fit). No cam bearings used!

Jack, although the crank was in good shape it was nearing the max wear limits so opted to cut it to .010 it's best to have it checked by an automotive machine shop.
I suggest that you rebuild the sea water pump completely, particularly if the engine is at or below the water line . If it leaks you could end up with a crancase full of milky oil !!
Let us know how it all works out.
Charlie

Hi Charlie
well the engine is dismanteled and new parts on hand. I am a little disappointed with the piston fit. the bore is 79.37 and the pistons 79.27. it is an easy fit.
But the question is what should the piston ring gap be. The workshop manual does not give it for 4.107 but for 4.108 it is 0.3mm. as sent the ring gap is 0.15mm. what do you think?
Jack

Jack, sorry to take so long but i haven't been on lately (work) piston to sleeve seems ok .
Specs may have changed and mine are well over ten years old. Heres what i have :
Ring gap comp. 0.30/0.43mm (chrome rings)
ring gapoil 0.229/0.356
ring gap cast iron rings 0.229/0.356mm
i assume you put a ring in the cylinder and used a piston to push it down straight than measured the gap??
Charlie w

Yes, please post the results. I have two Perkins to rebuild, one is a 4.108 which is underway, sleeves pressed by a local machine shop. I have not started on the 4.107 yet. Too much work for one old man.
Tom

Engine started today and runs well. One trap to avoid:. The thermostat housing and intercooler flange is bolted to the head via the two end head bolts as well as normal two studs near the thermostat. This is to provide support for the intercooler. But the gasket supplied does not extent under the two headbolts. The result is when you thighten the head bolts the housing shatters.

Engine started today and runs well. One trap to avoid:. The thermostat housing and intercooler flange is bolted to the head via the two end head bolts as well as normal two studs near the thermostat. This is to provide support for the intercooler. But the gasket supplied does not extent under the two headbolts. The result is when you thighten the head bolts the housing shatters.

Jack,

Where did you get a new thermostat housing? There are washers that fit under the studs to stop what happened to you, or just make a new gasket to cover the entire size of the housing, it will pull down equally then. I have a thermostat housing which is badly corroded.

I'm currently rebuilding a 4.107 and have found the following:
1. The connecting rods are out of round and the installed rod bearing IDs are significantly out of spec. Can these rods be re-sized in any way, since the rod and cap have serrated mating faces?
2. I purchased a liner kit with pistons. I have installed the liners and am ready to measure piston-to-wall clearance. However, I have not found any piston diameter or clearance data in my manual. I measured the first one and it was 0.005 inch. That seems like a lot to me. What have you seen/done?

Thanks,
Ray Russell
Valiant 40
Enshalla

Hi, I'm finally getting around to installing my rebuilt 4.107 into my boat. My problem is this:

The engine that I removed was a 4.108 and has a completely different fuel injection pump. The 4.108 pump is a mechanically governed pump (and has a "flat" cover on top). The injection pump on the 4.107 is hydraulically governed and looks completely different. The Workshop manual shows the control (throttle) lever and the engine stop lever. What they DON'T tell me is which position is which on the two levers!!

Is there anyone out there with a 4.107 in their boat that can look at their pump, wiggle the levers, and then tell me which positions (toward or away from the crankshaft) are which?

Thanks in advance,
Ray Russell

Back