Logo

BF50A Volt. Reg. and ECM -- Advice?

tiMoun

My voltage regulator was blown (putting out 17V to 18V) So I decided to replace it.
I found an excellent explanation online on how to replace it with a generic voltage regulator (Costing 1/3) but after looking at the new generic one decided to do the "prudent" thing and replace it with a Honda one.
Trouble was when I got it back to the motor all wires matched ... except one. Instead on 2 Grays, 1 Black, 1 Black and white, 1 Black and yellow and 1 white, I had all of the above except instead of Bl/Y I had a third gray.
I know (now) this was dumb but I connected the 6th wire to the 6th terminal, i.e. Gray to Bl/Y ... not good.
I now have a hole in my ECM although the voltage regulations works well.
In talking to the dealer, it seems that there was a V reg. change during my model year.
So, a couple of questions:
1. Can I repair the ECM? the Bl/Y goes to the Batt. position in the ECM? (These suckers are $590)
2. Can I get the ECM repaired?
3. Can I use this voltage regulator by taking that 3rd gray wire to the Stator (Pulse I guess)? It i still regulating just fine.
4. Should I just install the generic V reg.?
Thanks for any input.
Michael

I do not know of anyone that repairs Honda ECM's.

First...do not connect that third grey lead anywhere. It is most likely for a tachometer. I say most likely, since I do not know what rectifier you have or exactly what motor.

You say that the regulator is working just fine, does that mean that the motor is running? I am confused!

I also can not answer about a generic voltage regulator...don't know what it is or it's design. In general, it is not wise to substitute parts on a Honda. They were designed the way they are for a reason. Also, some of the regulators provide voltage to do other things in some models.

There are a lot of unknowns here.

What is the serial number of your motor? Is it a tiller steering or or remote control (do you have a steering wheel)?
That will tell me what the wiring should be and what regulator should be there. The wiring diagram is in the last few pages of your owner's manual.

What is the part number of the the regulator that you installed?

Mike

/

Mike
Thank you for your reply. I have come to the bottom of it. There was a V.R. model change in the middle year of my motor. I had the wrong voltage regulator. My ignorance fried the the ECM, which I will now have to pay for, the dealer that sold me the original V.R. will exchange it for the correct one (2 grays and a yellow/black). So, I'm good now.
Thanks again
Michael

Back