Logo

25HP not quite in neutral

karthur

I got a 2004 25HP (F25ESHC) 4-stroke. Its a tiller motor, with a manual shifter, electric start. When the motor is in neurtal, I can feel/hear a clicking sound like it is not in neutral good. I can push the gear shift lever a little toward reverse and the clicking stops. I checked the linkage rod that is connected to the shifter. I thought that it may have been bent throwing off the shift point, but it seems right. When I shift it into reverse and hit the gas, it will jump out of gear. Like it is not in reverse good.

I could not see any place to adjust the shifter. Down near the lower unit, I can see a nut on the shifting rod going down into the foot. Thats about all I can see.

There has not been any damage or repairs to the motor. Bought it new and the only thing I have ever done is changed the oil/lube. Is there a way to adjust the linkage?

Guess you could say it just gradually got worse. It wasnt like that new. It has taken a few bumps along the way, but nothing I would consider major.

Where you see the nut and the long nut is where it needs to be adjusted.-------------Somebody likely replaced the pump impeller and did not assemble it properly.---------------Disconnect it there , put control in nuetral and put lower unit in nuertral and re-connect.------------Depending on your experience , results may vary and it might take some trial and error.

It is time to replace the impeller, they age ( made of rubber ) and it is a " spend a little bit now or spend a lot later " decision.

When you remove the gearbox to change the impeller,you will find the shift-shaft.You will need to disconnect the 2 nuts on the shift-shaft to remove the box anyway,so that will be the one I'm talking about.At the end of it (inside the box)is a part they call a shiftcam.When you engage reverse,this pushes the clutchdog onto the reverse gear.My guess is that this part is worn and needs to be replaced.

Back