Logo

Omc 225 v6 HELP!

Debunker

I have a 1970 Larson with a omc stringer sterndrive. The motor is a Buick I think? 225cid v6. The block is cracked and I was planning on pulling the motor taking off all the parts and just replacing the block. Do I need to have a 1970 Buick block or can I use something else that all the parts will fit on? Thanks in advance.

Your fighting a losing battle using a electric drive and trying to find a block that will allow the correct coupler and flywheel.
My opinion sell the drive scrap the boat.
Just not worth the money and trouble to resurrect a Larson 1970 version.
Buy something that has a merc, or volvo off the back.
Just trying to save you the heartache and pain your going to go thru with that old electric shift, no longer available parts, motor and drive.

If I find it to hard to find a block that will work, what other motors will work with the stringer drive?

it's not "the stringer drive" you need to be concerned with
it's YOUR stringer drive

The only bolt up and go engine is the Buick 225/231 of the years I listed.

They're a dime a dozen in my neighbourhood, but scrapping that boat is definitely what I would be doing unless there is some nostalgic reason for keeping it... like you learned to ski behind it as a kid

without resealing, or pressure testing the drive, it's worth $150 to $400 depending on market and cosmetic condition

Last edited:
The truth is what MM has said. The stringer drive was not a good design to begin with. If hell bent on restoring this hull, I'd suggest building a structural transom into it, and installing a stern drive. You can sometimes pick up a donor boat for almost peanuts, and have all the stern drive parts needed.

Also note that if an auto engine is used, and if this is going to be raw water cooled, you will have more than casting core plugs to deal with.

The automotive head gaskets will live a short life with the PH balance that they'll now be subject to. They may go for a while, but it's very likely that they will eventually fail.... even when in river/lake water only. The PH is simply incorrect.

Like said... if you absolutely love the boat, cut your losses on the stringer drive equipment, and do a stern drive.

The AQ series Volvo Penta would be my choice. These often outlast the hull, seldom wear out, making the supply/demand to cause the used market to be rather soft compared to other stern drives. These donor boats are sometimes easy to find, and you'll get all of the drive components needed.

Just a thought and my two cents.

How well will one of these Buick 225 V6 engines perform in a car. I am looking at a street rod A Model PU with this engine already in it. The ID tag located on the Left rear of the engine block says: HU 15 S and under that it has W49931

Bob

one oddball issue with some boat engines transferred to cars is repeated plugging of the rad as sand comes out of hiding in the block. suspect it matters where the boat was used, but the block had raw water in it so not always the best candidate for a car - but they run nice.

Those little "Nail-head" Buick V6's are a cute motor in any small street rod, as not many people use them and therefore are a good talking point. Nostalgia - yes, but better engines in later years Too heavy, and virtually no speed equipment for them.

But, I wouldn't hesitate using one if I had no access to any others. The 225 in my own boat is performing beautifully, when I use it, that is.

But, back to the original question, wasn't the last Buick to use this motor in a car, back in 1966? But, Jeep then used them for many years.

My OMC Stern Drive has a multiple bolt pattern so if you can't get a V6, there are engines from Chev, etc that will fit. Even a Cadillac I think will fit one of the patterns. But, this would break the drive.

If you end up not using the stern drive unit, then I just might be interested, if it is the same as mine.

Bruce.

Back