Logo

Commander Marine 351 5.8 Engine Manifolds Titanium?

Reverend Bob

Regular Contributor
I have been advised that Commander marine (351 250 hp) exhaust manifolds were made of titanium, does this sound correct!

HPIM1543.jpg
?????????????????????????

Titanium is a chemical element! When added to iron or steel, we end up with an alloy.
Hard to say if these are this alloy or not... but they'd be expensive if they were.

Hey, thank you Rick!

Well, they are non-magnetic, the metal is dark grey, when you scuff it, it gets darker, unlike aluminum. They do have some weight to them, and this may sound silly, but when you tap on them, they seem to ring, not like the dull thud sound aluminum makes.

I just read on a correct craft forum, a thread about Commander marine engines, in which one poster mentioned that company using titanium manifolds on 250 hp 351 ford engines, to save weight, as well as more corrosion resistant than aluminum. Apparently up until they went out of business in 1996, when ford stopped producing the Windsor engine.

Then again, you can't believe everything you read on message boards, right? :rolleyes:

Last edited:
Hello Larry,

Someone from the forum confirmed they were produced in a titanium alloy, then he made me an offer I could not refuse, long story short..he now owns them :cool:

Last edited:
Larry,

I sold the manifolds. They were surplus parts sitting on the shelf, I had saved them for any future project which might have come along.

Titanium is like aluminum....many different alloy receipes.

Personally, I'd be surprised if the OEM used them as standard parts. The cost impact would be huge...

Back