Logo

Yamaha F80 Timing Belt Replacing

handi2

Hello,

The timing belt on my sons F80 4 stroke seems to me much looser than the manuals specs. I am going to order a new belt and replace it.

Are there any tips or tricks to make this go smooth? Any videos?

Does anything else need to be inspected or replaced while doing this?

I am fully aware to keep the engines gears in the correct placement.

Thank you

There is an adjustment for that. How many hours on your motor? Yamaha says the belt is good for 1000 hrs. I've seen them go past 3000 and only ever seen one slip after a hard reverse at high rpm on a 200 hr motor.

The motor is new to me and is "supposed" to be a low hour motor. The boat was in storage for 5 years. The motor looks to be well taken care of and looks like new. The boat is a 1994 Key West and the motor is a 2001 Yamaha F80. I don't have any pics of the motor on my PC but you can see the condition of the boat.

I replaced the water pump, oil and filter, spark plugs and all anodes. The engine anodes did look to be fairly new.

My service manual has not arrived yet. What is the procedure for belt adjustment.

Thank you

Attachments

• IMG_0030.jpg
    IMG_0030.jpg
    63.7 KB · Views: 81
  • IMG_0034.jpg
    IMG_0034.jpg
    70 KB · Views: 98
Remove the flyweel cover. Loosen the bolt in the center of the belt idler one turn. Gently turn the flyweel clockwise enough to transfer all of the belt slack to the idler. You should see the idler move slightly inward due to the spring which is hooked to the bracket. Retighten the bolt. Done.

Back