Logo

Honda BF50A Cylinder Head Installation

bmousser

Hi again,

Bill the apprentice here, my learnings from reading and participating in these forums have proven to be beneficial for me. I first want to thank those who have contributed to these forums.

My question is, when replacing head gaskets on a Honda BF50A do you use new head bolts? or can the original ones be used? If the original ones are used, do you still torque them down to manual specifications? or does the manual specifications apply to new head bolts? Manual specifications call for 22lbs. for the (8) 14mm and 19lbs for the (3) 12mm.

Somehow these specs seem to be unsual. However, any advice or feedback is welcome.

Thanks again,

Bill the apprentice

Not sure what manual you are using but my manual says that the bolts for a bf50a are (8) 10 x 85 mm flange bolts with washer torqued in 2 - 3 steps to 27.5ft lb then rotate them an additional 90 to 120 degrees. The (3) 8 x 40mm bolts just get torqued to 19.5 ft lb.

If the bolts are within specification, as described in the manual, you reuse them. The manual also shows how the bolts should be oiled.

If you are looking at the Honda Spec book...it does not completely agree with the manual. I would follow the manual.

Mike

Maybe I am talking of different bolts than you. Maybe you are talking about the size of the socket that you need for them.

Mike

PS If you are getting this deep in this kind of work and you are using a Seloc or similar manual and not the official Helm manual, you are going to have trouble. You should make the investment into the official manual.

Got it! Actually you are right. The bolt size in my manual are described as you indicated. I am referring to the socket size. And actually the torque specs are the same. My memory of what I read at times can be skewed by my age. ha! ha! Appreciate the expertise. I will look into the Helm manual. Here in Hawaii we have only 1 Honda Dealer on the island of Oahu. Like I said earlier, things are quite expensive here. For example a Cylinder head gasket for a BF50A is 75.00. I looked on Boats.net and found the gasket to be much cheaper (half the cost). Would you recommend Boat.net to check for the Helm manual and other accesories?

Thanks Mike will do! I will keep you updated on my venture to make my motors perform better. Not that they don't, however want to be able to troubleshoot better and do some of the work myself.

Thanks for the support!

Back