Logo

Need advice on a rebuild

protozo1

I have a 1995 Suzuki 85 hp outboard with a blown piston. Power trim works great, prop is good and lower unit is good. I also have the controls for it. Is it worth it to rebuild? How much (ball park) am I looking at for cost. Any ideas or feedback would be greatly appreciated.

Visit ------brown's point marine-----------------All the pictures and prices of parts are there.----If you can do the work yourself it will be worth it.

Visit ------brown's point marine-----------------All the pictures and prices of parts are there.----If you can do the work yourself it will be worth it.

Come on guys, I appreciate the one post but I could use more info. Someone must have dealt with this situation before.

Impossible to tell what repairs are going to cost untill motor is taken apart.-----All parts to be measured , then decisions made.--------------Will cost minimum $ 500.00 on parts to " not worth it " if labour at $100/hr has to be paid.------If you can not do the work yourself you may have trouble finding a shop that will do it for you.

I recently rebuilded my DT75 -88.
Here is the parts I bought from Brownspoint, as said before $500 did it cost, one piston was scored.
Most but not all parts you need should have the same numbers.

After you have removed all parts from the powerhead you should bore/hone one or more cyl.
Dont know the cost in US, but I guess $150-300.

My biggest issue was the removal of the eight screws holding the powerhead-lower unit, they snapped one by one!
I heated the bolts but it barely helped.

Same with three bolts holding the cylinder head, they also snapped, but I could remove them with a large pipe wrench.
There is no big deal to assamble all the parts, but I recommend using a service manual.

browns.jpg

Do you know why the piston blow?

Last edited:
Back