Logo

MS3 Transmission question...

ralph salerno

My port transmission would not engage in forward, reverse is fine. I am removing the transmission from the boat and have started a search for the sliding sleeve replacement to no avail. It seems that part is no longer availible. What do I do now?

You will need to remove the shift cover and make sure the shift shoe is good and the bronze cone is not cracked in half. If it is not cracked, it is just possible that you have a glazing on it and it will need some attention. There are very few parts available for this trans.

Last edited:
Ralph, the MS transmission design follows closely to that of the 280 I/O transmission. Many of these parts will interchange.

You may try pulling it apart, and very carefully lap the sliding sleeve into each gear cup.
The sleeve is directional, so be sure to lap like for like.

Look closely at the vertical shaft split ring keeper.... aka wear washer.
Any expansion of this ring can lead to failure and to severe damage.

The OEM will not cover the lapping, as there is no OEM recommendation for this.
There is a procedure for when lapping that seems to work well.
Get hold of me if you need help.

Did you resolve the shifting problem? I have twin BB140's in my 1981 3270 Bayliner Explorer. I also have a forward shift issue in the port engine MS3 transmission! Reverse shifts fine, forward hesitates for about 7 seconds before engaging! My boat is moored in Camas and I'm in need of a mechanic who has experience in old MS3 transmissions!

Did you resolve the shifting problem? I have twin BB140's in my 1981 3270 Bayliner Explorer. I also have a forward shift issue in the port engine MS3 transmission! Reverse shifts fine, forward hesitates for about 7 seconds before engaging! My boat is moored in Camas and I'm in need of a mechanic who has experience in old MS3 transmissions!
First check that the shift cable is properly retained at the point it enters the intermediate housing .... next check for no loss of motion due to sloppy link from the cable end to the shift yoke.

First check that the shift cable is properly retained at the point it enters the intermediate housing .... next check for no loss of motion due to sloppy link from the cable end to the shift yoke.

Bob, this is a Volvo Penta MS-3 inboard transmission!
The main drive gear, the two driven gears, sliding sleeve and gear cups are very similar to that of the 280 IO.

Attachments

• image.jpeg
    image.jpeg
    73.4 KB · Views: 110
Last edited:
Back