Logo

1993 omc change starter problem

Preben

Hi sorry for bad english, im from norway :) but i am thinking of bying a boat with a 1993 omc 5.8 engine, but the owner had problem last year with the atarter and change it and the tooth weel that it goes into. but now it is verry hard to start, he says that it sonds like the tooth is not hitting proppely. when the engine is warm it starts easy because it needs so little turn, but when cold it is hell to gett it to turn the engine. the engine looks great, no rust at all and stil has the paint on from it was new. i realy want this boat and i am wondering if it couls be so easy that he has the wrong starter or tooth weel. is this good engines besides that?

Many thanx from Norway

If the ring gear on the flywheel is missing a tooth, the engine has to be pulled to replace the ring gear. Besides that. Ford 5.8 is a good powerful engine.

I would not purchase a boat with an OMC outdrive. Parts are hard to get.

Last edited:
In and around 1993 is when Volvo Penta replaced the OMC Cobra drive with the Volvo Penta SX cone clutch drive.
If the 5.8L engine has a sea water pump mounted to it, then it will be Volvo Penta.
If the sea water pump is in the out drive, then it's OMC.
If Volvo Penta, this would be a good engine/drive combination.

If OMC, take heed of what Chris just said.

Pull all the spark plugs out keep track of what plug goes in what hole.
Now try starting the engine does it crank faster ? Does water come shooting out a plug hole when cranking ?
Do you have the ring gear on the flywheel right or is pushed to far aft and the gear from the starter does not make proper contact ?

ok, so the toothweel on flyweel can be put on wrong, it can be to far in or out? i have lookt at the oil and it looks great, perfect collor and feels great. for me this sounds like a small problem to fix and alot of money to take of the price, cause the owner sounds like he dont know anything. to move the engine forward to remove it, do i have to loosen the enginge from the ( what do you call it in english , the thing on the outside of the boat) sterndrive? is that what it is called?

Many thanx from norway :)

Keep in mind that the OMC logo appeared on some of the first cone clutch Volvo Penta drives.

The flame arrestor cover appears to be the V/P style, yet says OMC.

Your photo does not show an OMC ESA unit, so this may mean Volvo Penta cone clutch drive.
(OMC Cobra requires the ESA [electric shift assist] Volvo Penta cone clutch does not require the ESA)

OMC engines were typically painted gray.... this one is black.

Your photo also does not show enough of the engine to see if there is an engine mounted sea water pump.
Volvo Penta has the engine mounted pump..... OMC Cobra sea water pump is in the out drive.

I'd need more photos of the engine, and in particular photos that would show if there is a sea water pump at the engine!

Back to the flywheel ring gear and starter issue:

The Ford 5.0L and 5.8L engines center the starter motor via the mounting style. So I doubt that misalignment is the issue.

If you suspect a broken ring gear tooth, turn the engine over a few degrees by hand. Now try the starter motor again. If it catches, it may indicate abroken or damage ring gear tooth.

As for the starter itself.... they may have been using the Bendix style starter motor.
No OEM is using the non-gear reduction motors these days.

The Bendix drive starter motor looks like this. These are straight through... no gear reduction and relies on the Bendix drive to engage the pinion gear.

images

If you end up replacing the starter motor, I'd suggest purchasing a gear reduction motor.... aka HTGR/PMGR .

The HTGR/PMGR motor looks like this. No Bendix drive, uses solenoid lever action, and has a gear reduction from the armature to final drive.
These will outperform the Bendix motor.

images

Last edited:
Keep in mind that the OMC logo appeared on some of the first cone clutch Volvo Penta drives.

The flame arrestor cover appears to be the V/P style, yet says OMC.

Your photo does not show an OMC ESA unit, so this may mean Volvo Penta cone clutch drive.
(OMC Cobra requires the ESA [electric shift assist] Volvo Penta cone clutch does not require the ESA)

OMC engines were typically painted gray.... this one is black.

Your photo also does not show enough of the engine to see if there is an engine mounted sea water pump.
Volvo Penta has the engine mounted pump..... OMC Cobra sea water pump is in the out drive.

I'd need more photos of the engine, and in particular photos that would show if there is a sea water pump at the engine!

Back to the flywheel ring gear and starter issue:

The Ford 5.0L and 5.8L engines center the starter motor via the mounting style. So I doubt that misalignment is the issue.

If you suspect a broken ring gear tooth, turn the engine over a few degrees by hand. Now try the starter motor again. If it catches, it may indicate abroken or damage ring gear tooth.

As for the starter itself.... they may have been using the Bendix style starter motor.
No OEM is using the non-gear reduction motors these days.

The Bendix drive starter motor looks like this. These are straight through... no gear reduction and relies on the Bendix drive to engage the pinion gear.

images

If you end up replacing the starter motor, I'd suggest purchasing a gear reduction motor.... aka HTGR/PMGR .

The HTGR/PMGR motor looks like this. No Bendix drive, uses solenoid lever action, and has a gear reduction from the armature to final drive.
These will outperform the Bendix motor.

images

By the looks of the picture I would say that is a Volvo Penta with the OMC badge.

Back