Logo

Throttle Controls for 1961 Sea King 40hp (GG18744)

CCSO5341

I'll start by asking forgiveness for what's probably going to be a rather long-term post. I just became the owner of an older tri-hull with a 1961 Sea King 40hp outboard motor. This being my first boat, I'm completely at a loss for getting into shape for this summer.

It runs fine when opened up, but doesn't want to idle. I'm having a buddy help me work on the carb, so hopefully that's not going to be my next post. I'm actually trying to find a set of controls, but am having serious problems finding anything. The people I've talked to have asked if it's a one stick control system or if it has two separate controls for the throttle and shifter. Seeing as how it didn't come with any controls, I have no idea what to tell them.

I noticed, and copied, the lower unit diagram posted on another thread. Any chance somebody has a diagram for the upper?

If any of you outboard gurus could help me out with any info, I'd be forever in your debt.

If the motor was built by the OMC people ( Johnson / Evinrude ) then controls will be a " dime a dozen "------Post a picture of this motor as that is the best way we can help.

Looking at the ID plate, I found that it was made by Gale. I'll post some pics this evening when I get home from work. What pics would be most helpful?

That motor was built by the Johnson / Evinrude folks and a used Johnson / Evinrude / OMC set of controls should be easy to find.---------E-Bay is a good scource.---------Look up the parts on the top of this page.------------------Many parts are common with the 28 HP / 33 HP and the later 72 - 40 HP

Last edited:
Thanks a ton, folks. I ended up scoring a control box, both cables, and connector ends from a salvage yard. Next up: Cleaning the carb! Any suggestions?

Next question. I appear to be missing a mounting bracket of some sort from the throttle side of the motor. Can you guys help me with what it's supposed to look like and where I might find a replacement?

I got the control assembly with both cables and connectors, now I'm looking for the throttle-side bracket that is broken in the bottom pic. I don't even know what to ask for when I find the gray haired expert.

I'm not sure what it's supposed to look like. If you bring up the image you can see where the bracket is broken. It appears to have just one screw hole, at least on the piece that's still attached to the motor.

That was my thought. Hopefully it'll work, if not, I'm only out 10 bucks. Thanks again! You folks are life (and wallet) savers.

Many of those brackets are held by one screw and located by a pin !!-----Just standard OMC stuff.--Any Johnson / Evinrude man will have a bunch for mere pennies.

I've been sticking to the small Mom and Pop operations around here for my parts needs when I know what I'm looking for. I'm pretty much an outboard virgin. If i don't have the part to take in for repair/replacement, I'm all but in the dark as to what to call the darn thing. Maybe I just need to carry around pics of my motor instead of my kids so I can point out what I need!

Perhaps visit -----shop.evinrude.com------------Look for " ob accesories " and find all the pictures of controls and related parts

I must be getting annoying by now... I measured from the control box, down the hull, across the stern to the motor and came out with 10'. I have a set of 11' control cables. will these work or will they be too long/short?

Once again you have my thanks. Heating the cable ends never would have crossed my mind. I'm starting to bless the day I stumbled upon this site. I probably would have been conned into buying all new parts and hiring out the labor, otherwise. Any recommendations on how to set the fuel/air mixture with a fast and slow set-up? I know I saw it somewhere, but now I can't find the thread.

Perfect! Looks like I'll need to go to a bigger body of water. Not that I'll ever complain about a change of scenery. Now just to wait until my controls arrive and the ice melts off.

Back