Logo

'67 sea ray w/ chev 305 2 bbl

dimitrimfogal

Regular Contributor
hello gents....heres the problem...im underway cruising to a new fishing hole at 3200 rpm and she shuts off just like i turned the key off...i looked around could find no bad connections loose wires or whatever...checked fuel...getting fuel ( complete fuel system is new ) turned the key she fired right up...cruised for a few at 1500 rpm... ran her up to 3200 rpm ran beautifull for 5 min then shut off again like turning off the key...couple min fired right up and i ran her back in at low rpm with no prob whats causing the shutdown ??????? thanx in advance....dimitri.....p.s. no overheating issue..

Ditto Chris.
You may want to pick up the correct ignition coil and have it on hand.
By correct, I mean externally or internally resisted, depending on what your system requires.

Heat build up within the existing ignition coil may be causing this.

The shut down almost sounds too abrupt to be fuel related.

ignition is where i was headed with this...thanx guys , ill start with a new coil and post results....dimitri

I would not just change the coil. IMO remove the coil from the engine and reinstall it so you know what is involved in the way of rusted screws. Have all the tools on the boat you need to change the coil. Take the boat for a ride and wait for it to die. When it does, check for spark. If no spark is present, change the coil and retest.

actually , although it may not be necessary , im changing the coil , points , condensor , plugs , plug wires , and a couple of wires and connectors...this way ill have some confidence in my ignition system...i have a huge fishing season comming and i want to fish...not wrench....after tune up i'll post results....thanx again...dimitri

Back