Logo

1996 evinrude 90hp spl

Spencere

I have a 1996 evinrude 90hp with two problems. The first problem is when you start the engine up and let it idle down, every five or six seconds it jerks or like coughs and when it does this it will sometimes kill the engine it jerks so hard. The engine runs very strong! To troubleshoot this problem I have put a spark indicator glass on each coil pack and when it jerks the fire doesnt skip a beat on any of the four cylinders. The carbs have just been worked over and cleaned. Installed new plug wires and plugs with the right gap. I have brought this engine to a dealership twice and still doing it! Another thing I noticed is that when the engine warms up a bit the jerking slows down to prolly doing it every 15 seconds or so but still does it? What can else can I do?

The second issue is that when I run the motor 15 or 20 minutes and kill the engine for a couple minutes to fish or whatever it is seven kinds of hell to start it back up! I tried pumping the bulb when it does this and its hard! I have to hold the fast idle and after spinning it for ever it will eventually start back up! Please help this engine is driving me crazy. What can I do about this?

Report the results of a compression test.-----------The # 1 step in trouble shooting a motor that is not running properly!

Back