Logo

Newbie First time engine flush- water won't come out of top hole (video)

wolfen

Second post today...learning as I go....

1. Are the flush mounts on right?
2. How long can the engine run with no water coming out the top holes?
3. Both engines are doing it so...make me think I did something wrong.:confused:

Here is a video to clarify...maybe

Throw those muffs in the trash. Get the cheap round ones they work the best. Yamaha's do not like to be run on the hose. You have to raise the rpm's slightly to get them to pump on the hose, SLIGHTLY! The best way to flush them is in a garbage can full of water.

Water will not come out right away on your engine, it has to fill the water jacket first. If you stand outside the boat while someone else starts the engine and raises the rpm's you will see the engine pull the water in.

Last edited:
Hi Newbie,
If I am not mistaken the telltale will only pump water out of the hole when the engine is running. Try placing ear muffs back on then starting the engine and see how you go.

regards
Brad

Hi Brad
The engine(s) was started (not in that video though) with the muffs on. Sorry I didn't clarify that in the request.
Thanks for the reply.
Kim

Hey Chris
I actually got called into work yesterday....curses!!! So no...I have not done the engine run again.

I have had the boat since June 2011. It was a family venture and let's just say that the venture is now...over.

So, I do know it ran great. The only thing I did to it was change the trim switch on the controls as it was intermittent. Easy fix.

Now...I am getting the boat up to snuff, and learning about what makes it tick. I am going to go through the basic maintenance schedule (oil change...gas/water sep...lube...spark plugs...finding out as much as I can to keep the boat running the way it should.

To amswer your questions in a succinct manner :cool:...

yes...the boat is newish to me

and no...I do not know when the water pumps were last replaced.

I am going to pick up round ear muffs today at lunch and try to get an engine run in after work this evening. I will post on how it goes.

Cheers,

Kim

Did you figure it out yet? I have had the same problem with my yami 225. Your best bet is to dump the lower unit in an oversized trash can or better yet, bring it to your local ramp. The lower unit needs to be submerged well above the cavitation plate (fins above the prop) to create enough water pressure to cycle water through the tell tail (water hole). If you run it too long on the muffs without water coming through the tell tail it will fry the water pump. I learned the hard way and melted the pump housing.

Hi Nick
Not figured out yet.
However, I did not let the engine(s) run more than 60 seconds with no water coming out. I know enough to be a little freaked by that but not enough to know how long I actually can run like that. I figured it was in the 80's yesterday here in Florida soooo...better to air on the side of the no friend engine :eek:
I will post again when I figure it out.
~Kim

Hi all,
Well, the advice to chuck the muffs in the video and get the round ones was spot on. I had a successful engine run on both outboards today.
Thanks everyone...now....spark plugs and lower unit oil change....
Kim

Back