Logo

2008 225 Stalling on acceleration..then runs fine.

gaffshot

This past weekend was the 4th or 5th time my engine with 455 hours has done this.

Starts and runs fine except on an isolated instance when coming up on plane the engine would buck and shake on the transom while misfiring before stalling and turning off. Put in N and starts right up and ran fine at all speed including 6000 WOT for the rest of the 2 day trip. No alarms or indicators on the digital gauges. Just changed Racor is clean. Hi and Low pressure filters changed at 430 hours (occured at least 3 times on seperate occasions before last service).

1st time it occured last year took it in to the mech and he found no problems. No codes, labtop Ok, all filters were ok. He stated it could of been an isolated case of "bad gas" that the ecm was reacting to by cutting ignition off before damage occurs.

Is he right or should I investigate further?

Thanks.

Remove wing nuts from battery and replace with hex lock nuts, add grease to lube nut and kill corrossion. Notice the small lead on your battery cable going the motor, that controls the entire engine except for the starter. The big leads are for the starter. The smaller lead is the clean energy lead. Inspect and replace if found to be chaffed or corroded. Honda uses two different brands of spark plugs. Always use NGK, Nippon Denso do not last. There is a filter below the high pressure pump that most Tech's forget about. Load test battery to determine condition, forget the voltmeter. Thanks Martin

I agree with everything Martin suggested. But there is another possibility - especially if this happens at about the same time in the engine's run cycle. Your fuel could be draining back into the tank between the pump up bulb and the fuel tank due to a malfunctioning check valve in the pump up bulb. Once you burn the fuel in the fuel lines past the pump up bulb, there is an air bubble that works it's way to the VST and HP fuel pump, thus the stall out. When you re-start, the air bubble has disappeared and all is well.

Closely examine your pump up bulb and the seal on your Racor. The pump up bulb should get hard after about three good squeezes, and stay there. If it does not, replace it. Also check your fittings on the Racor, and the the rubber seal on the bottom of the racor sight reservoir, if you have that type of filter.

martin,
Hex nut already on battery's...will check cables to motor. On my last plug change they did change from the original NGK's to Nippon. Battery is on its last legs now but it has happened before with a new battery.

Chawk,
Ill check the bulb and the racor.

thanks guys.

Well racor seal is fine and the bulb gets rock hard at 4-5 squeezes.
Under the cover all battery power cables are pristine and connections nice and tight at battery terminals.

However, remembered that a couple of years ago while pouring startron into the front tank the small plastic seal that sits under the cap fell into the tank. Im thinking that the fuel pick up in the tank is obtructed by it especially on low fuel levels. To the best of my knowledge this has only happened while running on the front tank.

Ill see if it happens while running on the rear tank.

Back