Logo

rectifier

Hey yall I was attepting to check this regulator rectifeir and as i was gettin to the wires I discovered this ...Burned wires , you reacken thats the problem and . I couldnt fix it either.. right?get back with me,,guy and IBN thanksRECTIFEIR1 001.jpgRECTIFEIR1 002.jpg

hey man i have been messing with this rectifeir today....I just cleaned all the wires and everything, I cranked the boat and my tack is working plus my volt charging system is working...thanks god with me idling it is over 12 . 5 volts and when i throttle it up it goes to close to 14 and 15 so maybe i got lucky....the only thing can i tape the wires that runs to the recti.. cause i had to cut some of the plastic off the ends to check them....?

Use 2-3 coats of liquid electrical tape...let each one dry... then slip shrink tubing over the wire end if you can. Otherwise wrap electric tape over the liquid tape after it hardens.

Burned wires may be the result of a shorted rectifier diode...there is more than one diode. Set the multi-meter on the hoghest AC volts scale and check the battery terminals...black test lead to ground and red to positive. If you don't find AC volts at first drop the meter to the next lower setting and keep doing so until you get to the lowest setting. If there is 1.0 volts AC you have a shorted diode in the rectifier.

Last edited:
ok thanks when i connected them back , I had to cut some of the plastic off them where they were burned at. Can I just tape them up around where i cut them?please let me know. thanks kim....

Something caused the wires to get hot...usually high current caused by corroded connections or shorting the leads. Did you install the battery cables backwards or spark the + to - once?

also i have hooked a radio up to the battery before and it sparks sometimes, dont know if that done it...my cuzzin used to own the boat before me and he might have done something , cause when i got it the tach or charging system didnt work,,,and it is a nice boat it is a 17 ft triton 1753 crappie 50 hp mercury everything runs and looks great not hardly ran much....

By the looks of the burn spots it appears the wire connections were not very solid or clean which caused the temp. rise from increased resistance. Did you pull the connections apart and sand the male ends of the wire connections? Before plugging it back together use a pliers and gently squeeze the female connectors closed a few thousands of an inch to get a tighter connection. Don't crimp the two together.

kool yea when I pulled them apart they wearen't real tight but yea I sanded them alittle and justed plugged them all back together...just like i said there is a part of the wire that has wire showing will it be ok or do i need to tape it...thats where i had to cut the plastic off the end and i skint the live wire...

Use the liquid tape then the roll tape...I prefer the heat shrink tubing after the liquid tape; it seals tighter.

Most autoparts stores carry them. Use a Bic style lighter or hairdryer to shrink the tubing. If you try to slip it over warm/hot connections it will shrink tight before it's in place...cool the connections first.

its a good idea to have a seperate battery for the trolling motor and radio etc....there is already enough stuff that is key controlled off the main battery that can add a ground etc without adding more....and you are lucky to get away with a reverse battery hookup....if that is the 4 cylinder merc motor with low hours you have one of the most reliable motors ever built......take care of it and it will last many many years....

Back