Logo

2000 Honda 225 Fuel pump sensor location?

briari

I am having a problem with my Honda 225. For some reason the fuel pump remains running when the key is turned OFF. Does anyone know what would cause this? I am thinking it may have to do with the fuel pump sensor, but don't know where it is located. Any advice? thanks

The high pressure fuel pump is operated by the Ecm. Ignition on and no rpm will trigger pump operation. Once unit is running the Ecm will determine duty cycle based on rpm and load, determined by TPS sensor. Pump cycle's when ground circut is shorted. Remove,inspect,clean and install corossion preventive in the main harness junction and at the 2 plugs at the ECM. Thanks Martin

I'm no expert on this engine but I got curious about your question and came up with a couple of my own. I looked at the boats.net parts page and they list the 2003 model year as being the earliest version of the 225. ???

I'm pretty sure mcyama is correct about the engine computer cycling the fuel pump based on MAP sensor (load) TPS (throttle) and RPM.

I believe that the ECM grounds the control portion of a relay to energize the pump. It sounds as if the relay contacts may be stuck closed or that there is a short to power in the fuel pump circuit.

If you list your engine's frame number, someone else here may be offer you some better advice as to how to proceed.

Good luck.

Last edited:
I did fail to say that there is a main power relay buried in the front of the unit. Simple way to find is to follow the starter solenoid (small wire located on the starter to it's source) Thanks Martin

The ECM sends a ground to operate the fuel pump relay (which is in the main relay unit). The fuel pump relay then sends 12v to the fuel pump to operate it. You can check the wiring diagram located in the last few pages of your owner's manual.

Jimmy is probably right about a contact in the fuel pump relay being stuck. If that is not the case, then the lead to operate the fuel pump relay is shorted to ground somewhere along its route from the ECM or the ECM has an issue.

Most likely, it is the main relay unit. The earlier models had problems with these relays.

And, yes it is located at the front of the engine. See part #17 http://www.boats.net/parts/search/Honda/Outboard%20Engine/2005/BF225A5%20LA%20VIN%23%20BAGJ-1300001/STARTER%20CABLE/parts.html

Mike

Thank you everyone for the feedback. It was in fact the fuel pump relay, which I replaced and now everything runs like new!!

Back