Logo

OMC gear shifting back to front

Gentlemen, both Stringer 3.8 OMC's (1981) are installed now, everything in working order.
However, the starboard helm remote lever shifts forward and engages reverse instead of forward and when shifted back it engages forwards - bit awkward for lining up the two throttle controls to go in the same direction!
After much thought, I can't see how altering the helm control lever or the cables/idler pulley in the shift converter housing would change the direction of pull.
However after looking at the service manual pictures of the shift housing in the gearbox, I don't really see how that could have been installed wrongly either. The cable end pucks are different sizes and so not interchangable. I don't want to lift the boat from the water and dismantle the outdrive if that could not be the problem . . .

After much thought, I can't see how altering the helm control lever or the cables/idler pulley in the shift converter housing would change the direction of pull.

Ayuh,.... Most controllers have 2 sets of holes,...
1 set for pullin', 'n another set for pushin' the cable...

That's thrown me - I shall disassemble the control again. I don't recall there being an alternative option for the control cable.
Both the cam for the throttle and the cam for the shift I thought only had the one fitting hole for the clevis pin.

Gentlemen, both Stringer 3.8 OMC's (1981) are installed now, everything in working order.
However, the starboard helm remote lever shifts forward and engages reverse instead of forward and when shifted back it engages forwards - bit awkward for lining up the two throttle controls to go in the same direction!
However after looking at the service manual pictures of the shift housing in the gearbox, I don't really see how that could have been installed wrongly either. The cable end pucks are different sizes and so not interchangable. I don't want to lift the boat from the water and dismantle the outdrive if that could not be the problem . . .

I just went out on the lake for the first time with my new (new to me) 1972 Bellboy with an OMC 120hp. I am having the same problem. Reverse goes forward and Forward goes reverse. What could it be?

Did you ever find out?

Thanks,

Van

G'day Van,

As yours is an electric shift, and different to the instigator of this thread, your problem is that the electrical contacts are reversed somewhere.

If the Leg has been removed, the two wires that go through the housing to operate the solenoids in the gearcase could have been swapped around. These joiners are special twist and lock joiners, and are covered by a rubber boot, and can be seen from inside the transom, on the Port Side, protruding through a hole in the transom housing (Upper Gearcase).

They can be traced by following the wiring down from the two Solenoids that sit on top of the Flywheel Housing.

If not there, then it could be at the shifting lever (Throttle).

Bruce.

Back