Logo

T9.9 shaft getting stuck ?!

bigfishx21

Hi
I am really hoping that someone will be able to help me with this one. I own 2002 9.9 HT kicker. After sitting for 2-3 weeks it wont start. The shaft apears to be stuck. After taking the cover off, and moving the top several times over 10-20 minutes, shaft eventualy starts turning easy, starts and runs great. It shifts nice, doesn't stall, top and bottom oil is Yamaha oil, very clean. Engine runs great. If i don't start it for 2 weeks I am back to the same problem its impossible to use electric start ( I burned the starter already) I use rope and slowly keep turning it inch by inch to get it free.Removing the spark plugs doesn't help at all, spraying fogging oil into cylinders doesn't help. If this was the bearing than why would the engine run so nice after starting it ? There is no noise, and it sounds very nice. I can troll for hours without any problems. Leave it for a while and trouble is back...I noticed that if I leave the enging raised than is okay for maybe a month before it gets stuck again. Its almost like the oil escapes from somwhere where it should stay and lubricate ? I have no idea
Any help would be great

Is water getting in the motor ??--------Is motor stored properly, if you lay them down the wrong way then oil leaks into the cylinder past the rings and locks it up.

Last edited:
Hi
Thanks for reply
Motor is always on the kicker bracket, there is no water in the motor, If I leave the motor with the leg down than it locks after 2 weeks, If I leave the motor raised than takes longer but it still locks.

Is water getting in the motor ??--------Is motor stored properly, if you lay them down the wrong way then oil leaks into the cylinder past the rings and locks it up.

Actually now that I think about what you said maybe it is the storing problem. Because it is long shaft when engine is up it stays in almost horisontal position. Would that mean that the oil is locking it up ? I had this engine for years and it was always on the bracket, so I am not sure why now that would make difference, but i I will try to reposition the kicker bracket so the engine doesn't have to come up so high. Thanks for quick reply

I've had the same problem with my engine, and once I dropped the lower unit oil I found I had water in there. You might check that your lower unit isn't going out. If you pull the lower unit off and still have the problem, it could be that your power head is starting to go.

Back