Logo

Higher oil useage

flabob1

Regular Contributor
I have twin 150 HPFI engines. I noticed that my right engine been using more oil than the left.
About 15 to 20% more.
Also when the engine is started ,after sitting two weeks and tilted up there is smoke out the exhust for about 30 sec. to a min. This would clear up and KO all day.
Checked found no leaks.
This has started after I had work done on the right engine. It was running ruff and the mechanic removed the Fue ejeckers and cleaned, cleand the OX. sensor,and replaced thermostats.
I ran it from Marthon FL to Venice FL with no problem all the way except using more oil but than did't know for sure if I stsrted out even.
What would cause the oil usage.?
Thanks

Frequently motors use more oil because there is a performance issue with the motor which requires more throttle to compensate. How old are your fuel pumps? Have your spark plug cap resistances been checked? The TPS voltage relation to throttle synchronization is another key item as it also relates to getting the oil pump adjusted correctly. Don't mess with the oil pump adjustment unless you know everything else is dialed in. I would go back to the shop and talk it over with them. Check those fuel pumps. 300 to 400 hrs is plenty of time on a fuel pump.

Thanks for the info;
I guess I have to suspect the fuel pump, They have over 700 hrs on them. 6 1/2 years old.
When living down in the keys I did alot of of trolling and added alot of hours on.
Now living up in Venice area I wont be putting much on, we both are getting little older now.
Think I'll just live with using more oil for now.
Thanks again
Bob

Whoa my man. Let me elaborate. If in fact you do have ruptured fuel pump diaphragms the result is dilution of the lubrication in the crankcase. Not a good scenario for powerhead longevity.

I have twin 2 strokes HPFI engines. I don't think that they have a crankcase as to say. If the fuel pump is leaking where would the fuel be going ?
Would I see it ?
Also would it be running leaner with more oil . The plugs look good on inspection. No heavy oil .
How would I check for a leaking Diaphragms, Fuel pressure gage ?
Thanks Again;
Bob

There are alot of things, which if done on a preventive maintenance basis, are non issues normally. In my shop a 700 hr fuel pump is unquestionably done for. We use 400 hrs as a service interval for fuel pumps in the interest of keeping boating less of a hassle for the customer. I've seen them go at 300 hrs.
Crankcase impulse operates your fuel pumps. On the HPDI the only thing that should go through the crankcase is either air or Yamalube 2M. If, no, when the fuel pump diaphragm wears out it allows fuel into the crankcase. Ultimately it gets burned as it transfers to the cylinder. If your boat were mine the pumps would get changed, plug caps checked, and some new high pressure fuel filters installed if they are over 100 hrs. Good luck.

Back