Logo

150hp yamaha 2006 barely idles, wont throttle up

Dumb Boater

Problem started after the fuel line shrunk over time and became kinked on a 90 degree bend from under the gunnel to the motor. The primer ball became concave from the intense suction from the motor tring to get fuel. After I replaced the fuel line with proper length, the motor wont run. It took forever to get a prime into the new fuel line, and the motor did start up, but on sea trials it bogged down right away and now barely idles. It stalls on throttle up. occasional she will throttle up to 1400 for about 30 seconds then dies. I checked fuel pump. diaphrams look good. Fuel is passing filters when I squeeze bulb. Rail shows fuel when I press in purge valve. What Next? I get no alarms or beeps. Thanks in advance ! I know this one is a challenge. Also, it idles better with tilt all the way down. When tilted up to level or passed that it stalls right away.

Last edited:
Please check for air coming in the motor, temporary install a piece of clear hose to see air bubbles. No air bubbles may be in the system. Also measure the vacuüm in the boat fuel line with a vacuüm meter, you could also sqeeze the bulb, the bulb need to come to into the original shape in half of a second, if it takes longer, you have a blockage in the fuel system.

Assuming this is a fuel injected four stroke with the "fuel rail" comment. You will need to get a fuel pressure gauge and take a reading. When the injectors are fouled this is the type of problem you will have. But, fuel pressure gauge first. Report back with your findings.

After you put the gauge on and see what the pressure is you can determine if the pump is bad or if the fuel pressure regulator is bad or if the are both working fine. Replacing the injectors was a waste of money if the fuel system is fouled. The injectors are serviceable at the cost of approx $16.00 each.

Back