Logo

Honda 135hp troubleshooting help 2004

excoach

I have had a bit of trouble with some minor engine hesitation thru the throttle. It sounds and feels like there is a fuel flow hesitation. It doesn't stop the power during acceleration but feels like a minor intermitant flow of power.
New water filter and gas filter but this intially didn't create any problems but after sitting between starts and 10 new gallons of gas 10% ethanol the problem has surfaced. What can I do to cleanup this problem.

How long has that ethanol laced gasoline been in the tank? If a considerable time, then you make need to drain out all the fuel and start over, including all the fuel in your onboard fuel system. Once there is phase seperation, or major water absorption, there is no recovery. You should always add a fuel stablizer when you use E-10 fuel in an outboard.

Thanks,

I did use gas treatment and also just added 12 gallons of fuel. What about a dirty fuel injestor.
If injectors are dirty what is the best way to clean them

Well, the "good ol' boys" of Nasscar fame would call that a "skip" and would try a fresh set of spark plugs right off the git go. Well I would anyway:)

You need to get a small external fuel tank or other suitable container and mix in the proper amount of Yamalub Ring Free, Valvetech, or Sea Foam with gasoline for decarbonizing the engine. Instructions are on the container. This is often called a "shock" treatment, as opposed to ordinary usage. Run that mixture through the engine IAW instructions. They do a good job of cleaning the fuel system, injectors and carbon deposits in the cylinders and valves. After the treatment, change your oil and filter. Also, consider changing, or at least cleaning, your fuel filters. Don't be surprised if you get a lot of smoke and engine belching during the treatment, that's normal. If you have a significant amount of carbon buildup, you will be surprised at the amount of gunk that comes out of the exhaust.

Thanks for the advise, I thought the problem was related to a dirty fuel injector but the old gas and H2o problem is also a concern.

Is there a troubleshooting guide available for Honda.

If you invest in a Helm shop manual, it will provide a detailed trouble shooting protocol. Do not use any of the aftermarket shop manuals - too many errors.

One other thing that occurs to me - are you sure that hesitation is in the engine and not the prop? It might be that the rubber bushing in your prop hub is slipping under the strain of getting up on plane. Remove your prop and closely inspect the rubber bushing where it mates to the metal hub. If there is any evidence that it is not completely smooth at that juncture, try replacing the prop and seeing if that fixes the problem. Your Honda dealer is likely to have a bunch of used props sitting around that they may loan you for testing. Or you may just want to purchase a spare. I always carry a spare prop, thrust washer, crown nut and cotter pin in my boat.

Back