Logo

Honda BF15 Won't Start

MikeHines

Hello all,
First time poster here, hoping to rely on the collective knowledge of the forums for some help with an outboard problem that kept me off the water today. I have a 2000 Honda BF15 four stroke that has never given me a problem. In anticipation of a day of fishing, I started 'er up this morning without a problem, and let it run for about 15 minutes. Everything as it should be. While I was putting the boat in the water, I went over a bump that dislodged the clip on the kill switch, and didn't notice it had fallen out. Repeatedly tried to electric start, at least ten times, with the clip off and while the engine would turn over, it obviously wouldn't start. Realized the clip had fallen off the kill switch and replaced it, however now only a clicking sound when I depress the electric start. Also, the pull start won't work either, though it was working just fine beforehand. Specifically, something inside the engine prevents the use of the pull start. The cord comes out a few inches but you can feel something stopping it inside the engine. I don't know if some failsafe mechanism may have been tripped when I tried over and over to start with the kill switch depressed, but who knows. I've checked the fuses, tried pull starting with the spark plugs disconnected, replaced the battery, all to no avail. All I get is a click every time I press the electric start. The clerk at the marine supply store said he suspected a problem with the solenoid. Any additional insights would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks,
Mike

You may have a burnt out starter or solinoid....but there are a couple other things to check first.

The pull start normally locks if the motor is in gear. So, first make sure that the motor is in neutral.

If in neutral, then pull the spark plugs. With all that cranking, you may have put a lot of fuel or oil into the cylinders and it wil not allow the motor to crank. Once the plugs are removed, try the pull start. Hopefully, things will start turning again.

Mike

Back