Logo

Lower unit install question

largo

I'm installing a new lower unit on my 1999, 90 hp Merc outboard, first time and I didn't tear it appart. I have it figured out except, there is a hollow pin forward of the shift rod about 1 3/4" my new lower has it installed and the upper still has the old one in it. One has to go but thought I'd ask before wrecking simething.

If it is in the caseing it is probley a roll pin that is used to align the midsection and LU when putting them together. You will need to remove one of them by using vise grips and pinch it together while pulling it out. It could be very trying if the units were used in salt water. put a good penatrent on it and let soak first and give it a try.
Oldman570

thanks that worked, one more question, I have lower unit intalled to with in 1/2"of home, I'm not sure if brand new unit is in forwar gear how do I tell or do it and is there a trick to the last 1/2 inch?

Put the shift lever in fwd. and watch which way the rod moves in the midsection, then turn the shift rod on the LU about the same iistance as upper rod. Try turnning LU shift rod first and turn the prop till it shifts into forward gear. Foreward gear is when the prop will not turn CCW and turn CC with clicking noise. Place the water tube in the rubber gromet in the motor and into the water punp housing as you put them together. This is sometimes trying . After you have it together run on muffs and if water dosen't come from tell tail shut down quickly as water tube is not where it needs to be.
Oldman570

Back