Logo

Replacing corroded part

ccm

Hello,
I have a 2006 Yamaha F150 that has developed some corrosion in the lower unit area. I have attached a pic of the corrosion since it is somewhat hard for me to describe where it is at.

My intentions were to sand down the corroded areas then prime and paint, but when I got into the job it appears most of the corrosion is located on the ring nut (PN 6G5-45384-00-00) which appears removable. If I can remove this part it will be a lot easier for me to remove the corrosion and I could also see if there is any hidden corrosion behind the washer.

What I want to know is if there is anything special I need to know about the removal and replacement of this part. I'm sure there is a special tool for its removal but I will be going the shade tree route so I would appreciate advise on how best to remove the part.

I would assume I should put some marine grease on the threads when re-installing. Right?

Thanks in advance to anyone who can offer some advice.

Charlie

Attachments

• P1050924.jpg
    P1050924.jpg
    54 KB · Views: 30
Charlie,

I'll leave disassembly comments to the Yamaha Guru's.

I'd recommend wire brushing the corroded area with a brass brush rather than sanding the aluminum mating surface.

Chris,
I appreciate your advice but have a question. If I don't remove all of the corrosion won't it just get worse?

Thanks again.

Charlie

Back