Logo

Compartment Hatch?

auchandler1

Contributing Member
Hey guys I am re-doing my compartment lids for my 1989 Wellcraft 180 Sport and the compartments are in stern of the boat (for anyone who knows what these boats look like). The are a material made of fiberglass it appears or some sort of marine grade plywood. I can't tell all I know it is pretty heavy for hatch. Anyways, I am just going ahead and making a new one out of marine grade plywood I got at Lowes and I am currently putting some paint on it. Before I put it on the is there any suggestions out there as to what I can paint on it to protect it more from water and sunlight?

Thanks guys

Can you use it if you already painted it some?

I would have to ask how much is some. The edges are really important, CPES really gets into the grain. By sealing the out moisture and the fungus which grows in fresh water, rot will not get a chance to take hold, and the plywood will be less likely to delaminate.

Well for one I already put a few coats on but the other one I just finished has just one coat inside and the rest hasn't been touched.

Maybe you can sand the edges, and CPES the inside with the rest. After a couple of seasons you will be able see how well the Smith's product helps maintain the finish, as well as the wood, vs. the one without.

No mate, at this point my suggestion was to sand the edges of the painted plywood to soak in and seal the layers of the wood, with the CPES. It sounds like the one item is way past the priming stage. What kind of paint are you using?

I was using latex paint and I put quite a few coats of it and I have put it on my boat a few hours ago hopefully the cheap fix will be well worth it because it looks a lot better than my old ones. I will put some pics of before and after tomorrow.

Back