Logo

Mixed fuel error?

Zorfox

I've inherited a 2003 carolina skiff 16DLX with a 40HP Yamaha 2 stroke (3YMXM.6981GA). The engine has an oil tank for 2 cycle oil. The gas that was in the tanks was a mix. I was under the impression that the gas should not be mixed. The oil is injected from the oil tank. Is that a correct assumption? If so, should I do anything other than changing the fuel over i.e. drain the carbs, filters etc.?

If your oil system works properly, then you just change the gas to unleaded gas (no mix). But if the previous owner mixed it because he has issue(s) with the oil system, then you will definitely damage the motor after a few minutes running at full throttle.
I would find out why the gas was premixed and I would check to see if the oil reservoir/oil tank - all in working order!
Good luck.

It was my father's boat. When he passed away another family member used it. They had told me they thought it needed mixed fuel. I thought there might be issues with the carbs, filters and who knows what else I would have to address. If it won't damage the engine I would prefer to just use the nearly 10 gallons left. Is that reasonable? Finding a place to properly dispose of that much fuel around here will be a nightmare and probably expensive lol.

Running with more oil than needed will not cause mechanical damage to the motor ( more smoke )-----------But as stated you need to verify if the automatic system is still hooked up and working.-----------If you run straight gas and the automatic oil mixer does not work you will have a scrap motor on your hands.

Back