Logo

Throttle Position Sensor replacement

Fishous

I have a 2004 Honda 150HP engine I broke the TPS Throttle Position sensor located on the engine throttle body assembly. Honda Marine requires me to buy the entire throttle body assembly for $452. Searching the internet, there are Honda automotive 3rd party TPS sensors that can be used as replacements. I tried without success cross referenceing the Honda Marine TPS# 543829. Has anyone figured out which automotive cross reference Honda automotive TPS# would work, since Honda uses parts in their OBs that are common to automotive? The TPS is located in the front of the OB engine and looks pretty easy to replace by removing the blind head screws by cutting a screwdriver slot in the blind head screws with a Dremmel tool. Any help would be greatly appreciated.
Thanks,
Fishous

Last edited:
Fishous,

I like your style! I wish I had the info for you. That IS pretty ridiculous that you can't just purchase a TPS for a REASONABLE amount of GOUGE. Most of us would be willing to pay two or three times what they're worth to be able to just plug one in. It does say MARINE after all. But 10X?

NOT FAIR HONDA!

As much as I like their outboards, I sure don't like practices like this. I Hope someone here can help you out.

One thing you might give a whirl is to take what's left of yours down to the old Honda auto parts guy and see if he can't match it up with one on the shelf. You might get lucky and find the guy that says "I've seen that one back there".

Good luck.

Thanks for the advice and the reply. I am hoping a wrench out there can help me out. I am trying to avoid taking out the throttle body assembly as a last resort. From what I read on the internet, if you remove the TPS and replace it without moving it from the original slotted mounting hole location in the throttle body assembly, the voltage signal settings to the engine computer should remain the same from the variable resistance in the TPS.

Yes, if you bought the throttle body complete it would come set up. But, if you disturb it at all, even if you have the absolute replacement TPS, even from another Honda '04 150 throttle body, you are going to have to "dial it in". It probably won't just bolt on and plug and play even if you get it in the exact same spot as the old one.

It is really pretty simple. It should have 5 volts coming in as reference and then varying voltage coming out as the throttle is moved. Typically the computer wants to see just under 1 volt closed throttle and around 4.5 volts WOT. I guess I thought you were a mechanic and already knew how to set it up.

It might take some trial and error and that would generate fault codes if you didn't nail it on the first try. So, you would need to erase the codes. Or, you would need to take it to a dealer with the HDS to set it up and erase the codes...which kinda defeats the purpose of finding one since they will probably charge you a lot for even trying it or tell you it can't be done and to buy the new throttle body.

Sorry.

Thanks guys for the info. When I bought the engine, I had bought the shop manal and there is a step by step procedure for adjusting the TPS which doesn't seem to be too difficult. I would still like to know if someone can coss reference the TPS# with a 2004 Honda car engine automotive number. You would think if some third paty manufacturer makes replacement TPS for a Honda car, there would be one for Marine. The wrench at the local marina had mentioned that this is a pretty common occurence of the TPS breaking, but he did not know or was restricted from recommending a similar automotive part number.

Back