Logo

1988 OMC water leaking into sterndrive

greg2ish

Hello, I have a 1988 Glastron with an OMC sterndrive. Water is getting into the oil in the sterndrive. I took the sterndrive off a couple of months ago and changed the seals and the gaskets and it is still leaking. Water even gets into the drive when I have it hooked up to the hose. Can anyone tell me if there is a better way to pinpoint which seal or gasket is leaking? I am in the Navy and stationed in San Diego.
I also want to say thank you for all the help you give to us amatures. I learned how to replace my shift cable by reading these threads.

Greg

You need to pressure test the drive, now you can see (with soap) where the leakage is or is not. Also hear very good to see if the the air is escaping at a place you cannot see.

Lenard,

Thanks for the suggestion. I will try it. Since water gets into the oil even when it's on the hose in the driveway, does that mean the leak is internal or could it be the impeller?

Lenard,

Thanks for the suggestion. I will try it. Since water gets into the oil even when it's on the hose in the driveway, does that mean the leak is internal or could it be the impeller?

You will need to drain the drive of all gear oil to do the pressure test. Pump it up to about 13 to 15 lbs. You can also preform a vacuum test.

Last edited:
Pull the drive off, put it on a bench, make sure the room is quiet and listen carefully, have a bottle of soapy water ready too. I converted a coolant system pressure tester. Works great. Make sure the Gear oil is drained.

Back