Logo

2002 Honda 225 not peeing out of hole

aristakat

Regular Contributor
Okay here we go agin !!!! Water tested boat other day engines peeing fine... Ran motors yesterday in some shallow water that I shouldn't of been in, then decieded to go some where where we had deep water.. Motors ran fine for couple of hours didn't even check to see if they were still peeing.. jumped up coming out of a now wake zone and awhile in to planing horn came on Starboard motor.. came off plane and noticed starboard motor not peeing shut down used port motor to get home, in between started a few more times after checking foot and pee hole for blockage still no water.. So today I drop lower unit/foot double check new impellar and all looks well.. I wash any little fine sand graduels that seem to be around pump with hose / regrease and reinstal foot take to ramp put motors in water still no peeing !!!!!!

so come home start researching find this previous post:
http://www.marineengine.com/boat-fo...-water-not-coming-out-cooling-water-indicator
Start my search :
1. I drop foot again, hook hose to flush port plug water tube and see if I can back flush water toward pee hole nothing water comes out housing not out of pee hole.
2. I pull thermostats out check to see if they open in pot of water My first time doing this procedure.. they both open once water temp gets around 140 . I went ahead order new thermostat's because they are due over 2yr and 500 hrs on these thermostats..
3. I put one thermostat back in and performed rag covering hose nozzle in thermstat hole water came out strong thru water tube nothing thru pee hole, did exact same to other side of thermostat...
4. YES I did run line thru pee hole to check for blockage nothing also....
5. okay deceided to go check water pump again make sure housing was stay knoched and not spinning on shaft all check out manually spinned shaft clockwise to hear impellar spinning seems to be fine..
6. REALLY stumped now was thinking of taking middle cowling off to make sure pee hose was not pinched or at best cleared to block connection visually ?

Any imput would be appreciated !!!!!!!! I don't have a water meter to check pressure as previous posted suggested BUT I feel something might be blocked but not sure how to find other then above procedures ? KEEP in mind motors ran fine for 6-10 miles before this .... Alarm only came on once not willing to leave running long term to see if alarm comes back because of the obivious tell tale pee hole...

thanks in adavance

Jamie

SHAZAMM !!!!!!!!!!!! I am leaving post on here just as a reference.... I did one
last ditch effort, recently I replaced middle cowlings as well as pee hole nipple connections... I had a tough time getting cowling to match up being new also doing myself... Tonight my neighbor came over and we decieded to pull middle cowlings to check pee hole hose to be 100% sure not blocked or pinched using air tools and a extra set of hands we had bolts out and cowling off in 5 mintues.. YEP hose was pinched/kinked due to angle of hose we massged/twisted hose as we rebolted cowling back on AS I said extra set of hands made all the difference making sure hose stay conformed not to pinch this time as we bolted cowling.. Once we had it all done rechecked with garden hose on flush port , then final check with flush ears running motor..... peeing strong !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! All in day , one good thing came out of this made decesion to go ahead and replace thermostats which probably were due last time changed was 2009. 960 hrs ,my babys have 1550 hrs now .
hope this helps other next time they have issues with motors not peeing...

Last edited:
So, do you think that the blocked pee passage caused the engine to overheat? If not, why do you think that occurred?

So, do you think that the blocked pee passage caused the engine to overheat? If not, why do you think that occurred?

Yes I feel that it blocked water flow, it was kinked, once I got hose rearranged flowed great we will see but based off it running fine untill then I feel its good now

Um, I don't see how a clogged or kinked telltale could cause an overheat. Only a small portion of the cooling water exits there. Did you get an overtemp alarm? If so, I think you have a bigger problem than a kinked telltale. JMO.

Alarm came on once then(did key reset) never came back on but water wasing coming out of pee hole so never ran much after that didn't want to take the chance.. On a side note have had alarm come on in past when I jumped up on plane usally just when I first get motor started. Very sporatic and only when motors are running cool, bassically only once ...

Sometimes I get an alarm if the throttles are advanced before the engine is warmed up. I try to let it idle at least 5-6 minutes before starting out.

Sometimes I get an alarm if the throttles are advanced before the engine is warmed up. I try to let it idle at least 5-6 minutes before starting out.

Exactly what mind does as well, only difference is I have a 10 minute no wake zone from dock so I feel it has time to warm up but alarm when it comes on is almost exact same time at same spot right after no wake zone BUT sporatic some times does other times doesn't only time it does it is there..... thanks for feedback

I agree with Illesheim71 on both counts. A pinched hose to the telltale port should not affect engine cooling or operating temperatures. It's just a bleed off from the main water jacket.

If you jump out fast on a cold 225, you will often get an alarm. I suspect it is because of too much oil pressure.

Ran boat today 42 miles round trip boat ran perfffffffeeeccctttttt, end of day had alot of exhaust stains on midddle cowlings think it was from new oil changes .. Any one know why black exhaust stains previlent on one motor more then other ? Maybe water backflow coming out of exhaust ports ? never noticed so much before other then when doing oil changes

I get the exhaust stains also, but have not been able to correlate to any particular event. I doubt it has much to do with an oil change. It may have more to do with whether you store the engine up, or in running position. Seems to be more prevalent when I have the boat in a slip and motor is stored in the up position (as at Hatteras) or on a lift with the motor in the running position (as at home in Virginia.)

Back