Logo

Early 225 shift arm kit

Illesheim71

Contributing Member
My early 225 is still plagued by the "hard to find " neutral. Has anyone installed the shift kit (item 53 in the parts fiche) and did it help your shifting? Looks like the kit includes a flat spring, Shift arm (Cam) and a bracket. I know some have suggested that replacing the cables will help, although mine has only 320 hours and original cables operate freely and smooth.

looking forward to comments from others , BUT I had two replace shift cables before on my Honda 225 / 2002. The main cause I feel was the hard rubber collar/boot that surrounded cables coming from boat to motor it created extra strain on cables as well as water from washing boat would hold in collar and rust.. After replacing cables twice I was suggested to put cloth cable boot made of sunbrella material that had a zipper thus if needed to take off you could do without undoing all cables.. I did this 06/11/2010 and motors shift better and show now wear on cables now. I was skeptic about look but feel it looks okay and is much user friendly now... good luck just my two cents

Attachments

• P1200147.jpg
    P1200147.jpg
    37.6 KB · Views: 35
Only did one, serveral years ago. It definitely made a difference. It was a new motor with new cables, etc.

Routing of the cables and making large radius bends help too.

Mike

Last edited:
Back